GSkill Settings + Expert=Mystery??

DevilCry

First off all..Happy new year to all.I've a problem with my G.skill-Hz sticks.Previous I had an Opteron 148 and an 3700+ o/c at 2.9 with my gkill at 265 3-3-2-5~2.74v

265pr7.th.jpg

I decided that it's time to move to dual core.So 165 opty came to replace 148.The idea was to stabilize 165 at 2.9~ cause me ram was great at 265.But....problems started...I could't even make them work at stock timmings.I decreaded the volts at 2.5:confused: and finally 250 for me at stock timmings even and at 3-3-2-5.Thought that was a good start for 265..But it wasn't.Can't o/c them at all.Tried stock timming,differents volts,ram settings and read lots of post here and xs.I saw many people with the same problem.We had something in common.Expert and x2 cpu...So do you something in mind that will help me solve my problem...THnx in advance n happy to be a member of your forum

Okay for 2GB you need to run your ram at 2T. Try timings 3-4-4-8 at 2,8v.

Max async latency to 9, dram data drive strength to 7, 123 errata to auto, tref to 41xx or auto, trc to 7, trfc 14, read preamble to 7 and when your ram is set to normal, you can set dynamic counter to enable.

Those settings were recommended to me, maybe they will work for you also.

Okay for 2GB you need to run your ram at 2T. Try timings 3-4-4-8 at 2,8v.

What are you talking about? His RAM is doesn't need to be run at 2T, It is a 2x1gb set, not 4x512. The HZ set he is refering to should be able to do 1T @ 250mHz just fine.

@ DevilCry

I wish I could offer you some advice on what to do. I haven't ever experienced any problems with my Expert, HZ & 170 combo. Well outside of not being able to OC the ram past 260 anyway... but thats not really a problem. I don't know if you have had a look at this thread or if it will do you any good but here you go:

G.Skill HZ/Any other UCCC (2x1024) 260+ please post here

hmm, sorry to hear of your problem.

i have 2 gigs of HZ in my system, right now the processor is running 9x345, ram divider @166 (282 effective on the ram), 3,4,4,8, (2.8 +3%), 1T on the timings.

this is the only 2 gig set that seems to run nicely at these lofty speeds and at 1t, maybe i got lucky and got a righteous set, been all the way to 290, 1t, same timings.

read up on the settings beyond stock, all you need has already been posted here (search, read), that is how i got mine completely stable...

the poster above (Wizzard) this reply has given you some helpful settings, yes, you may have to toggle the 2T, all components react differently in different rigs.......

baldy

It seems to me that if your Ram can't do the rated speed @ stock timings, then you have a bad set of RAM.

I suppose it could be a poor mem controller on the CPU also...

Strange.

I assume you have both tried everything to get them stable at the stock settings.... I don't mean sound like an butt, but have you tried the stock settings from G.Skill, or did you just try to figure it out from previous experience? I ask because I am curious...

NO no no no stop. I had exactly the same problem with my gskill set. It is rated at ddr 4400 at 2,5-3-3-7 but i never got stable with that and it made the system corrupt every time. Bad rams? Certainly not! Those stock settings were causing my cpu ondye memcontroller way too much stress. That caused all the problems. And imho it is also the problem of the topic starter.

Having said this, try run your ram with looser timings. 3-4-4-8 @2,8v did the trick for me. I now can run my ram @ FSB 295 in synch 1:1.

About the 2t with a 2x1gb set. I thought that was some sort of a general rule of thumb. Some of us are very lucky with their 2gb set on 1t. It all depends on how strong your cpu ondye memcontroller is. If it wants to work with 1t it's great, but it mostly won't do it. Hence the 2t setting for a 2x1gb set.

Weird. I don't have an expert but both of my sets of g.skill can do 270 at 2.6 volts 1T no problem. Maybe its not your cpu mem controller but something to do with the expert mobos? IDK, its just a thought.

About the 2t with a 2x1gb set. I thought that was some sort of a general rule of thumb. Some of us are very lucky with their 2gb set on 1t. It all depends on how strong your cpu ondye memcontroller is. If it wants to work with 1t it's great, but it mostly won't do it. Hence the 2t setting for a 2x1gb set.

The general rule if thumb that I am aware of is that it is very difficult (if possible) to get 4x512 running at 1T. Most are able to get their 2x1gb set running at 1T easily. Have a look through the OCDB and you will see that most run their 2x1gb ram @ 1T. Also have a look at the G.Skill HZ/Any other UCCC (2x1024) 260+ thread and check out the Cheat sheet. 31 (or more) entries that are all set to 1T. Most 2x1gb sets will run at 1T. Out of the 6-7 sets of 2x1gb ram that I have personally used (OCZ, Patriot, G.Skill, Corsair), all would do 1T. I don't think it is good luck to get 2x1gb to run at 1T, its bad luck to only be able to get them to run at 2T.

Look at the Cheat Sheet. It has the Stock Speeds from a G.Skill Technician listed to get the HZs running at 250mHz. Check the G.Skill website, they also have the Stock timings listed there - The Stock setting for CPC is 1T. If you can't get the RAM to run at stock speeds with stock settings then there is a problem with the RAM.

Maybe I am crazy here, but if my HZs wouldn't do 250mHz with the stock settings, I would RMA them.

I saw many people with the same problem.We had something in common.Expert and x2 cpu

There is no compatibility problem with HZ memory and the Expert/DC processor. Quite the opposite. HZ is the memory of choice for that motherboard/ processor combination.

All HZ memory should run at 250MHz/3-4-4-8 1T on the expert. Anything over that will be limited by the ram itself, timings/voltage and the memory controller.