Wondering about safe temps for 7900GS

Dark_Gear

Hey All,

I just got a BFG 7900GS OC for X-Mas ( 168$ @ NCIX :D ). While it is a great upgrade from my 6600GT, I'm wondering about its temps. The stock cooler would idle at 57-59 and load into the low 70's.

Hoping to remedy that, I installed the Thermalright V1 I had on my old card and my temps came down to 53 idle and 69 load. The scary aprt is that when running 3dmark06 the temps shot up to 91! :eek:

Anybody else have heat problems with these cards, should I:

a) RMA

B) just keep it but undo the factory OC

c) save up for the Thermalright HR-03:drool:

Your temps seem kinda crazy there. Perhaps try reseating the HSF?

I'm getting in the mid 60's with the stock eVGA cooler while running the 3d view of ATI tool which makes the temps go crazy.

According to the NVidia control panel something like 127c is the temp when the core starts slowing down on it's own. So your quite safe with your temps.

My 7950GX2 was really hot and it went to low 80's before I watercooled it... I think the safest bet is to remain at a maximum around 70's, even high 70's but never 80.

I think its normal specially if your case temperature is warm: how hot does the motherboard and chipset get? If its warm inside then no wonder why your video card is getting high temperatures... increasing case ventilation in these conditions will lower the gpu temperature a lot.

Good point about the internal temps but I don't think that's an issue since I'm running an open case. My CPU normally idles at 24 and my chipset at 38.

As soon as I get caught with school I'll reseat the HSF and see if that helps any.

Although I've read that the 7900gs won't start throttling until it gets to 127, I'm still a little leary of silicon reaching temps that could blister flesh in seconds.

Might have no choice about dialing back the frequencies to lower than factory overclock until I can get the HR-03

• 3 weeks later...

RMAing the card will get you the same card, with the same bad TIM, the same severely undersized heatsink(undersized in that they take close to the power of a CPU if not more but get a heatsink that doesn't take up more than one PCI slot, if that), and the same crappy whining little fan that breaks in three months.

Reseat the crappy heatsink with good TIM, and... it's still a crappy, undersized heatsink with a small crappy fan.

My Sapphire x800gto2 would idle at 90c.. the thing heated my case up ridiculously. I reseated it and it then idled at 92c. With a waterblock it idled in the 20, sometimes below.

The stock cooling on these cards is usually downright awful. I'd get the thermalright hr-03(or just go watercooling). Sure, nvidia drivers say the throttle temp for my card is 115c, but do I want a processor I paid $135 for going over 110 celsius to begin with?

Not trying to jack ur thread....I am really interested in your results after you get the new hr-03....I have been looking at these cards for a few weeks. Trying to get to a 7900GT for under $200...I have read alot of reviews and seems like the 7900GS is a good bang for the buck.....May get mine this week....

ANY thoughts on this one would be appreciated:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814125045

Also toying with this one but not really sure if I want to switch to ATI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102022

Thanks in advance...:)

Excellent....I am pretty sure about the 7900gs....I have read alot of reviews about it and I wish to make a worth while upgrade for under $200 bucks....I

have seen the GS as low as $159.99 but I am kind of brand finicky...Thanks so much for the reply and the links...