radeon x1950xt, everythingButRam

venar303

I've been looking at this card, since TomsHardware insists it's the best deal anyone can get for a new video card today. Sooo, I've learned that it's pixel shaders are amazing and it's speed is really good for it's price. I also learned that 256mb is bad.

I want the card for Oblivion, which i now uses a lot of big tex's, so i was wondering if anyone thinks the 256mb will be enough of a prob to make me change my mind. I'd hate it if after spending 250 i still had to stutter through obliv.

Most games don't even use 256mb of texture memory. Oblivion may use that much or more when the textures are set at high settings. You can always turn up other settings and turn down texture settings if need be as oftentimes the change in texture size doesn't give that much difference in the way the game looks.

Most games don't even use 256mb of texture memory. Oblivion may use that much or more when the textures are set at high settings. You can always turn up other settings and turn down texture settings if need be as oftentimes the change in texture size doesn't give that much difference in the way the game looks.

IMO, pixel shader effects have a much greater impact on visuals than having a few extra high quality textures. The x1950xt has the best pixel shader performance of any card in that class and price range, hands down!

so I say, turn down those texture sizes, and crank up those pixel shaders! youll have better IQ and faster performance !

FYI, according to rivatuner (which can capture how much vram is in use) 256MB should be enough for high-res textures in oblivion; I never think i saw it get anywhere near above 1/2 that. Although I am not far in the game...

FYI, according to rivatuner (which can capture how much vram is in use) 256MB should be enough for high-res textures in oblivion; I never think i saw it get anywhere near above 1/2 that. Although I am not far in the game...

I have to ask... How do you get RivaTuner to do that? As I'm fairly interested in finding out how much my games are using and don't know much about rivatuner except I found getting to the OCing settings and all rather clunky so used coolbits instead. :D