What Is The Best Firewall To Use?

cyberpc04

Well, I was checkin out some firewalls today and was just wandering which one was the best to use. What do you guys use and think are the best? I need to get one.

well hardware firewalls i've heard are the best, but if your going with software, I have the free version of zonealarm and haven't had any problems. the thing is though, if they really want in, they're going to get in.

For my hardware firewall I use a Netgear router.

As for software I use Kerio Personal Firewall. At the moment, it is using 1,333k of RAM. It has a pretty simple interface and works quietly in the background.

Anything with stateful packet inspection is always good, and most linux routers have those features built in. I run a dedicated linux box as a router/firewall, and I never use any software firewall on any of my machines behind the router.

if you don't have any a server (ftp, web, game) then you really don't need a sofware firewall, if you are already behind a router.

if you are not behind a firewall then zone alarm seems to be the everyones favorite.

personally i find software firewalls a pain, and stay away from them if i can.

Agreed, don't know what i'd do without my nat router. Just make sure if you open up any ports to close them after you're done. Internet security programs are way more trouble than they're worth IMO.

Norton Internet Security has always treated me well. I have had no problems with it and was easy to install, but it takes a little to configure. The fact that it integrates easily with Norton systemworks is a big plus, then you can configure and modify the whole suite from one interface.

Ever since I have added the hardware firewall there has been a complete drop of alerts from my software firewall. Definitely hardware firewall is much better, but if you do not want to add a piece of hardware to your connection then I would recommend Zone Alarm [which is free,] Norton or Zone Alarm Pro.

As for McAfee, IMO I wouldn't recommend it to anybody... There has been several instances where people have asked me to fix their computer because some software wouldn't connect to the internet, only to find out that McAfee on their PC is the cause. Too much trouble!

I use my basic DI-604 hardware router/firewall

and have used Zonealarm, but just switched to Outpost...

read some scary stuff...

Firewall tests and Review

I am now an Outpost Convert....

Sure Zonealarm stopped Leaktest, but it let Tonnes more through.,.. I was quite surprised as I have used ZA for years....

Hardware: Linksys 4-port router

Software: Zone Alarm.

I like zone alarm because it basically runs in the background. The only part of it I usually see is the meter that goes on my taskbar, and that looks pretty cool. While my router blocks virtually all incoming packets with ill-intent. I like ym firewall because it tells me every time a program sends packets out without my permission. I've caught more than a few trojans this way. I also like it because I can block everything to and from Internet Explorer. I don't trust that beast. :)