(Resolved) must clear cmos every time I restart

Hi, I just changed my cpu from 3800x2 to a 3400 venis and I have to reset the cmos every time I restart and I have to hit F1 to restart. If I go into bios and reset clock etc. and hit F10 and then Y it will not post. So I reclear cmos and hit F1 it starts every time, but thats a pain in the backside. Could someone please help me? Thank you, X-Tinman

DFI LanpartyUT ati cx3200-dr(BIOS 04/25/2006)

Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615DPMW @ 306x9=2754mhz

AC Freezer Pro 64

1G= 2-512 ddr PC4000 Cl2.5 Crucial BL

2 X Sapphire 1900xtx on software crossfire

2 x Maxtor 160G sata 1

1 X Seagate 320G sata3 on 2

1 X Seagate 250G sata3 on 2

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109

Antec Truepower Trio 650W Psu

Hi, I just changed my cpu from 3800x2 to a 3400 venis and I have to reset the cmos every time I restart and I have to hit F1 to restart. If I go into bios and reset clock etc. and hit F10 and then Y it will not post. So I reclear cmos and hit F1 it starts every time, but thats a pain in the backside. Could someone please help me? Thank you, X-Tinman

Do a search through the archives in the forum. I remember something like what you describe from a couple of months ago. Search is your friend and a great learning tool.

Your CMOS battery should be @3.0 vdc. if you find that the battery has way less volts-->replace the battery.

Just of curiousity: have you also removed the Dual cpu patch from AMD that most of us with X2/Opterons have installed for proper operation? And why in the world would you downgrade to a 3400 venice core ( I notice there are no CPU details) ?

x-tinman: can you make a signature with your system specs?

both:

What exactly is happening? I'm thinking one of:

1. Whenever you turn your computer on it says "CMOS Checksum failed. Press F1 to load defaults"

2. Whenever you turn your computer on it fails to post (black screen and some error is listed on the dual 7-segment display on the motherboard) and you have to turn it back off, clear the CMOS, and then you are in the same situation as #1.

3. Whenever you reset your computer (as opposed to turning off then on) you get either situation #1 or #2.

Solution wise #1 makes me think your CMOS battery is dead, can you remove it and test it with a multimeter? A new one will be about 3.25V depending on your meter and at or below 3.00V means it has less than 10% of its capacity left.

Another solution for #1 I just thought of is maybe your CMOS jumper is in the "clear cmos position" as opposed to the "normal operation position". It's easy to check so maybe take a look.

#2 or 3-2 makes me think your system is not stable, post your overclock if applicable.

For 3-1 i have no idea, reminds me a little of running ram dividers on the lanparty B (except less scary)

Here is my signature. Also If I put my 3800x2 back in, the thing runs perfect. For some reason when I have my 3400 in it, It thinks It still has a x2 cpu in it and I think that is why I get the "CMOS Checksum failed" message at post. I guess I shouldn't have sold my 3800x2. So I ordered a 165 Opteron to see if it helps straighten things out. And would like to see how well it overclocks. I see a lot of people getting good overclocks with them. Wish me luck!

DFI LanpartyUT ati cx3200-dr(BIOS 03/28/2006)

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ venice

AC Freezer Pro 64

2 x Maxtor sata 1 160g

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109

Ok this might sound stupid, but if I remember right, that CFX 3200 stores a bios saver or overclock saver settings under one heading in the bios. After changing some memory sticks I remember having an issue getting it to recognize the amount of memory I had installed. If I am recalling things right, I went to that area in the bios, I think its the one below the overclocking heading and saved a copy of the boot after changing memory and that solved my problem. Its worth a shot.

Jason

Hi; Well I got my new Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615DPMW and now things are back to normal. It starts up normal without clearing the Cmos. And I tried overclocking it a little just to see what might happen and I got it running at 306x9 giving me 2754 mhz and a score of 9433 on 3dmark06 without any over clock on my vid cards. I should be able to get 10000 after I jump up my vid cards. Seems good to be able to use the bios now. And Comicdom1 thank-you for your reply but I tryed that earlier and it didn't help even with a new cmos battery. So I don't know why it doesn't run on a single core cpu but thats water under the bridge for now. Have a great day!

This right here is more than likely the problem >> AMD64 3400+OEM << that cpu as I understand it was only released

into the market at the outset for Large OEM system builder and not as a general public cpu...now it again seems to be

sufacing since they were not all used up in distribution to Large OEM system builder.

Symptoms of that cpu on the DFI board are that it boots once after CMOS clearing. The only possible work around for

that cpu I have seen is in booting into Genie Bios section and changing the setting I show as changed below. It may

allow use of that particular cpu since it has for some user.

FSB Bus Frequency............................. 200

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... Auto change to x4.

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... Auto

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... 100

Again that has worked for some user with that particular cpu...a cpu that actually should not have reached market,

except to large OEM system builder. Users have made the change as indicated in red above and most report things are

then ok...others just went to a regular market cpu. Hope yours is one of those that works.

RGone...:confused:

x-tinman

You need to create a signature as the forum rules require. The rules you agreed to explains exactly how to do this.

How do I get it to enter every time without copy & paste?

And if u look up u will see my signature is there.

So what is your take on the problem on hand any how?

or do u even have one?

DFI LanpartyUT ati cx3200-dr(BIOS 04/25/2006)

Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615DPMW @ 306x9=2754mhz

AC Freezer Pro 64

2 x Maxtor 160G sata 1

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109