ATI vs NVidia

suedenim

I have the nF4 SLI-DR on the way, all I need is a PCIe GPU.

I've never used ATI but hear good things about them as well as the NVidia cards.

What I'm asking is for peoples experiences with some of the higher end cards as recommendations (especially those that have or had both).

As to ATI I've been looking at these two recently.

X1950XT:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=GX-063-CO

X1950PRO:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=GX-065-HT

As to Nvidia I think the 7950's might be a good choice.

(I've heard rumours that CrossFire works on nF4? Is this true? Is it Intel mobos only?).

Thanks in advance...

Crossfire won't work on a NVidia chipset. So if you want dual gpu upgrade potential go NVidia. If your not worried about that both ATI and NVidia make great cards.

Theres another thread about 5 posts down where someone asked a very similar question and plenty of other posts to read if you search ati vs nvidia on the forums.

There are AMD boards that have an ATI chipset for crossfire; but the nF boards only support SLi (there may be hacked drivers to enable crossfire). The intel boards (e.g. DFI Infinity 975X/G) natively support crossfire but Happy is running hacked drivers to run SLi.

From what I've read, SLi outperforms Crossfire.

the ATI X1900XT 512MB PCI-E card is still the best bang for the buck

it ain't as powerful as the 8800 cards, but a heck of a lot cheaper

it's as good if not better than the 7900 series cards (excluding the 7950GX2 which is 2 gpu's on a single card)

the price for a single X1900XT is best-bang-for-the-buck at the moment (especially since it has 512MB of memory and most are very overclockable)