Question about programers

Guest DaddyD302_merged

Theoretically it would be possible; but the chances of finding a programmer who has no clue about hardware is extremely remote.

IMO any programmer would have at least some very basic computer knowledge; at least know what the different parts are.

I would say its possible .. As I work with 2 of them in the real world .. On top of that, I am a unix programmer (RS/6000 based servers). I have tried to show my co workers that knowing about the hardware can make your programs respond faster. But I just get the "That doesn't intrest me" or your a computer geek.

But that might be why I spend more time cleaning code than writing new code.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But according to the posts this guy made on the guru3d forums he is familiar with DX10 and D3D coding; which indicates that he would have at least some knowledge of GFX cards (enough to know that they come with a HSF), especially if he OCs a 6800GT.

I smell a rat

In my office, some of my COWcowmoo.giforkers here are programmers. As a SysAdmin, it is my job to support them. They suck at knowing their hardware. I've had to explain a whole lot, and really basic stuff too like what a link light is and not a week goes by where I don't explain FTP. It's amazing they can write the software that they do. This has been the norm for me in all businesses where programmers are employed. The only place that could be called worse would be the health industry where doctors can tell you how your blood pressure affects your central nervous system but they won't type or do anything computer related (that's a secretary's job). HOWEVER, they all, even doctors, would at least know about a heat sink and certainly would be able to tell the difference between the picture on the retail package compared to the received video card. So, on the one hand, sure, the guy is a douche, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he knew anything about anything. As it has been said, you can't cure stupid.

so, as I'm writing this, one of the programmers just asked me how to tell if a desktop has 2 CPUs. :eek2: :sad:

I love the way he says its not artefacting, then complains about the fact that he bought a card and it can't even run at stock without producing artifacts! :D

Also, the way he says that his state law entitles him to take them to court and they have to pay his legal costs. I'd imagine its the same in America, but over here that only happens if he wins! :D

Guest DaddyD302

Well thanks for the very useful info guys!! I learned alot. I also spoke to my cousin and he said it was possible, but they are rare, because if they want a job in the IT world, they best learn both so they increase their chances of getting hired. Well as for the guy, it seems eVGA caved in and believed his crap, oh well eVGA isn't very bright. At least it's something for me to look into as I like my current job, but I want more money, and it looks like back to school for me to learn about programming, since I don't know much about it.

The guy sounds like just another scumbag B*llSh#$#ing his way through life.

He probably finds what he did truly easy and should try it on the poker table sometime. He will probably get a big reality check.

He is a moron! In the one forum he claims that the card came without a fan on so he obviously knows what it is for and in the EVGA forum he complains about the card having artifacts. He? So he tested it without a fan even when he knew that he will need one to cool it. EVGA should actually never sell another card to him! He He! Ignorant moron of the month award! :sweat:

This moron is living his life to screw others; eventually he'll end up being shafted and he won't know what hit him. "The truth will catch up to you"

It's just a sham that eVga gave in to his hogwash.

There's no indication in the original thread that EVGA caved, not even remotely. Threads closed and last I read they were in contact with the retailer for details. There's been no other details since. A second thread was also closed for mentioning his thread. So it's all just speculation that they caved or didn't. Personally I doubt they caved.

well even if they did caved in, i believe its not becoz theyre stupid.. but more to the point of expensing one *measly* card to shut one customer thats ruining it for the rest of the customers.....

as for my previous point...

ok, my apologies of saying noob programmer... i can now understand programmers that has no clue on hardware. but they're rare. theyre either artifact programmers (no pun intended to the unix programmer there lol im programming basic at a 15yr old SCO server) who focused on specific languages, or newbies (not necesarily stupid) that r new to the coding world and would like to focus on building a strong foundation on programming....

but they are rare.

Its quite possible to know little of hardware even though you can program - How little ? ....I dont know...but I know that I came across people who can program but don't know their way around windows xp let alone something hardware based....

little off topic, but knowing hardware does make programming a lot more efficient - without these advances/discoveries in the hardware field we would still be computing on single cycle non pipelined amd processors heh

Its quite possible to know little of hardware even though you can program - How little ? ....I dont know...but I know that I came across people who can program but don't know their way around windows xp let alone something hardware based....

Keep in mind that up until about 20 years ago, most programmers wrote code for mainframe computers, so it wouldn't be unusual for such people to not have much knowledge of a personal computer.