These C2D chips are chilly!

WintersFury

At 3.6 GHz, at 75% load, I get 70c-74c with a tuniq tower at 1.535v.

These are not chilly. :(

I am referring to core temp, not motherboard socket temp.

I wonder if my opteron was the same way, because I never ran a program like coretemp or intel thermal analysis tool on it, that gives you the temp from a diode inside the CPU opposed to the temperature of the CPU socket.. my poor opteron was probably crying for over a year if the difference between mobo socket/inside CPU is as great between opteron/DFI as it is between core 2 duo/ASUS.

I know coretemp has the whatever they call max temp for Intel set at 85c. So I'd guess thermal throttling occurs at 80c as per older Intel chips.

TAT said throttling started when I hit 80c but everything I had running still worked and did not slow down. I think you can turn this off in the BIOS too.

Hi

Im having a core2duo bought (for my new video workstation which ive worked pretty hard for) and Im awaiting my OCZ GameXstream the next week.

If C2D gets really that damn hot you wouldnt be able to touch the heatsink without burining your fingers (anyone tested :confused: ) I dont think they can be that hot even if the core-diode reports this.

Im planning on buying a Scythe Heatsink because the tuniq isnt available here in Germany. But should i get the Mine or the Infinity? Is the Infinity the 10€ more worth it costs?

(Sorry for thread hijacking ...:)

The cores can get to 80C easy during overclocking.

Just because the cores are 60C or 70C or even 80C, that does NOT mean that the fins of the heatsink are that hot. That would mean the air coming off the heatsink would be that hot, and I dont know about you, but I dont want my room temp to be 70C... whats that, like, 175F?

The fins of my Thermalright SI-120 are luke warm, barely above room temp, and the air coming off of it from the fan is that warm at all.