These C2D chips are chilly!

WintersFury

Perhaps I put this in the wrong forum, but it is about Intel chips and temps so I figured this seemed to be a good place.

I just wanted to comment on how cool the C2D chips run... Man... My AMD is runing at about 38-40c currently with Rosetta@Home runing. My Intel setup has been runing Orthos with the blend test and is sitting at btwn 29-31c.

Now that's just crazy... It could be the case cooling or something, but 9-10c seems to big of a difference to be just case cooling as my AMD has pretty good cooling.

Using CoreTemp for the temp readings from both chips. I have to say I'm very impresed with the thermal performance of the new Intel chips! :)

Well I'm not exactly the most extreme overclocker in the world, so I doubt I'll hit 80c.

But a single core of my C2D should be about as fast as my AMD processor and it's runing cooler. So currently I'm quite impressed by it.

Cant wait to actually use it for something. Only complaint about this board is that there are NO adjustments for voltages, fsb speed or anything. It took updating the bios just to get hardware monitoring in the bios...

Oh yeah...:eek2: 83c during one session...high ambients helped put me there.

I would like to go to 3.4 or higher, but when I Prime95 it pushes my temps over 60C. With my current overclock the temp will reach about 58C max. What is a good guide line for the E6600 temp, is it 60C?

Intel specs say 60.1 as max, but that is the temp at the IHS, not the cores. That would make the cores in the 80's probably. If the CPU doesn't thermal throttle, it's not too hot as far as Intel is concerned. I'd never run one that hot for a long time, but I plan to keep mine at 65c or lower.

Just wait till you start pumping in more volts... it will get warm, believe me.

I had my E6600 @ 3.4GHz on 1.55v and during an Orthos run in a 65F room with my SI-120, it would hit 68C. I could get a higher CFM fan (currently like, 50ish CFM) and my temps would drop, but I dunno... I just leave my side panel off and thats fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it from a very reliable source that the Core2 cpu's will stay alive even prolonged 90C temps...

but

in a realistic world that we live in (or I try to force some of you non-realistic persons to live in anyway lol), we'd say "uhh....no thank you, I don't want my cpu running at 80C+ for any amount of time no matter how reliable your source is dude"

(translation: the core2 will definitely run extended periods @ 85C for me...but I am not going to risk doing this more than once for about 9 hours just to verify...who knows how much damage that 9 hours of 85C temps might have done in the long run?)