Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Why? Wouldn't the controller make sure that didn't happen?

I am not an expert on the workings of the cooler, but I would assume that the unit is calibrated for the stock cooler's efficiency.

I just wouldn't want to risk it for a few degrees.

Like Travis said, it's not worth it in my opinion. I prefer my Tuniq cooler, since it can keep my CPU under 60C (CoreTemp). I can go up to 1.5v with an ambient room temperature of ca 77F-80F. It also costs ca 1/3 of the price.

Obviously some might need more extreme cooling than me, and I would either recommend either a liquid cooling system or a Freezone cooler for them.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TEC cooler is ok for AMD, not so great for Intel, but that isn't really even the issue. The issue is noise and weight. Too much noise, too much weight for a motherboard that sits upright (in a typical case).

For $60 I'd rather have a Zalman 9500 or similar. For $100, I'd still rather have a Zalman.

Maybe down the road these cheap TEC units will be better, but for right now, they simply aren't something I would spend money on.

You had previously stated that the Monsoon II was the only cooler you had success with on an X2 4800+ OCing to over 3GHz. Is the statement above for all of the other processors, or has something happened since you made that statement? I agree that the sound of the fan is irritating, but I think it's the pitch of the 92mm fan. A 120mm fan would probably be a better choice. If the rest of your system has loud fans, I doubt it would be an issue.

well...depends on which kind of watercooling

if you got the right case and some cash to get a REAL watercooling setup like a DD or Swiftech, it can't be beat in my opinion.

For $150, the Corsair Nautilus or DD/Swiftech starter water kits are great. For $250, a full dual-rad DD/Swiftech setup is my choice 10 out of 10 times.

By the right case, do you mean one that a lot of interior work space?

When you say dual radiator do you mean a larger singe radiator with (2) 120mm fans on it? Or would that be 2 separate radiators?

• 4 weeks later...

I remember someone saying that the Monsoon II was too heavy at almost 2lbs to be hanging off a motherboard. While looking at other air cooling options I came across the Coolermaster Gemini II.

installed_top.jpg

It's about the same weight. Is it still a bad option because of this?

I was kicking the thought around about what to use on an ASUS A8N32-SLI build. I just decided I had too many coolers around to buy another one. I used the Monsoon II on an Opty 165. It seems to like this processor more than the X2 4800+. The idle temperatures are considerably lower.

Cooling different components on the motherboard can create some problems. I have an Abit AN8-32X SLI build to complete. I have decided to use an Arctic Cooler 64 Pro that I have to cool the CPU. The fan cage interferes with the correct usage of a CoolIt Ram Fan. The Ram Fan hits the cage just as it slides over the 3rd stick of Ram. It wont fall off, it's stable enough, should cool all 4 sticks of Ram adequately.

The replacement for the POS DFI board is an Abit AN9-32X. With a CoolIt Freezone, The CoolIt Ram Fan wont have a problem fitting over the Ram at all.

It won't work with certain mobo layouts, like mine. I might have posted this before elsewhere, but here's the pics form their site;

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

From what you have posted, it all depends on the orientation of the CPU bracket clips, but more importantly, how the 2 hold down bolts are orientated.

I was kicking the thought around about what to use on an ASUS A8N32-SLI build. I just decided I had too many coolers around to buy another one. I used the Monsoon II on an Opty 165. It seems to like this processor more than the X2 4800+. The idle temperatures are considerably lower.

This has changed with actual usage. I was at 30c at idle for a few days. It has now increased to 40-42c at idle. I'll be looking for another CPU cooler over the next few days.

I screwed up when playing with the BIOS on the A8N32-SLI. There's an over-volt option that I had enabled that adds .2v to what I selected in the BIOS. I had it set for 1.45v & it was showing 1.65v, enough to raise the idle temperature 10c. It's back to a 30c idle temperature @ 2.95GHz. No need to replace the cooler now.