Bf 2142

Daddyjaxx

I'm still extremely upset that there is no option to play the full maps on single player. It'd be useful even for people that like mulitplayer games just to map everything out.

Yeah, I know there're mods for it, but I don't like running them since none seem to work properly.

Large maps = 64 players... which is kind of a computer AI nightmare, I doubt a computer these days could control 63 computer AI players. Also the larger map means larger programed paths for the AI, and if 16 player maps is currently a lot of calculations then imagine the ones needed in larger maps.

If you have played BF2 online you have seen the other side of the coin: at 16 player maps the system requires X amount of resources... at 32 it requires 1.5X amount of resources... at 64 it requires 2x amount of resources. And not talking about the map itself, but when the server is crowded... having people around knocks down the system rather badly, from ping times to FPS.

For me any game that supports 32 vs. 32 player fights on a large map like BF2 and BF2142 its worth trying... some people can't deal with all this and prefer smaller multiplayer games that are just a smaller frag fest, something like Quake3 Arena and Unreal; for me these are boring and restricted, with little easy to learn maps, at least in comparison to the ubber large ones in BF2 and BF2142.

Also there are people who don't like online games... mostly because they hate people being jerks... I don't like online games because of this, however I let things pass because i like this game in particular.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to check out Dawn Of War then, if it's got native widescreen support. That was my biggest issue with BF2142, I was just blown away that they didn't support widescreen. I was pretty upset after I spent an hour downloading the demo.

Pretty much every single game released in the last year has been able to go widescreen easily. Big mistake not too IMO.

I know it's a different genre but I just picked up Company of Heroes today and I'm 100% hooked, best RTS game I've ever played by a long stretch.

Not only BF2142 doesn't support WS, but it doesn't support SLI or XFire... a single card has the same performance than a system with two :rolleyes:

EA and DICE made this because their BF games are a contest, and they in their infinite wisdom decided that people should not have hardware advantages...................... GEEEZ!!!!! :mad:

Next game they will probably try to add a minimum ping time of 100 ms, so people with slow connections get the same ping as the rest with good connections, and all have equal chances... :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is dumb... but its DICE and EA... they do have a point since their BF games are 100% online, and they have a point rating system... and hardware advantages play a significant role in scoring more points.

But any other game out there is crap in comparison... I mean it doesn't support 64 player maps, and by maps I mean HUGE maps... and it doesn't have the scoring/award system BF games have...

I don't like online games much, but if they don't have all these features then I am not interested.

1. i play in 1680x1050 and it looks damn fine. edit: here's my picture gallery = http://bf2142tracker.com/gallery.php?userid=2434 no cropping like widescreen in BF2....

2. the maps in BF2142 is damn huge. as in, u need a vehicle. u really do....

3. my buddy just grab another 7900GTX for an SLI and it boosted his FPS. another forummember on bf2142tracker.com has a crossfire and loving it. so bullcrap on the not supporting SLI/xfire.

4. hardware DISadvantage is actually an ingame advantage. turning Lighting in graphic option to low enables u to view enemy in dark shadows...coz theres no shadows...doh! in both bf2 and bf2142 btw..

ive been sucked into this game for thelast week and a half.... id say it tops BF2...much better than bf2... load maps quicker, more weapons, more maps, more stuff! teamwork is a most and enforced (kill is only 1pt instead of 2 in BF2, but capping + neutralizing is now up to 8 for example), walkers (nuff said), and many others....

sure alot of people complains about it but im (and a bunch others at bf2142tracker.com) is loving it.........

so anybody interested add me up on ingame buddy list :) nick is RedBeaVeR... currently 2nd Lieutenant Silver. a killer specOp with Lambert and invincible in the Nekomata....... Hoover tank FTW!

Strange, someone I know has problems with two 7800GTX in SLI... disabling SLI = same performance than with them in SLI... :confused:

Then my 7950GX2 profile for BF2142 says Single GPU rendering... and when I have enabled it to dual GPU rendering like with BF2 the FPS' go down a lot. Game works better with just one GPU doing the rendering, again completely diferent than BF2.

You are right: at maximum settings each map loads faster in BF2142 than in BF2, weird... but not impossible; the game has a diferent or modified 3D engine than BF2, thats for sure.

I am using 1920 x 1200 with out issues... yet I know the screen is cropped on top and bottom, yours is too but you don't noticed yet. I don't care, I like using a huge screen and at those resolutions is overkill to view only part of the screen since you really can move your sight with more acuracy than at 4:3 resolutions. Also to each side of your view angle you see better and more clearly, since its HUGE :)

I think the new game is more complicated and some people hate this... I hate the fact that I might have lost the person I played with, and if thats the case I might not play the game for a long time... :sad:

Strange, someone I know has problems with two 7800GTX in SLI... disabling SLI = same performance than with them in SLI... :confused:

Then my 7950GX2 profile for BF2142 says Single GPU rendering... and when I have enabled it to dual GPU rendering like with BF2 the FPS' go down a lot. Game works better with just one GPU doing the rendering, again completely diferent than BF2.

You are right: at maximum settings each map loads faster in BF2142 than in BF2, weird... but not impossible; the game has a diferent or modified 3D engine than BF2, thats for sure.

I am using 1920 x 1200 with out issues... yet I know the screen is cropped on top and bottom, yours is too but you don't noticed yet. I don't care, I like using a huge screen and at those resolutions is overkill to view only part of the screen since you really can move your sight with more acuracy than at 4:3 resolutions. Also to each side of your view angle you see better and more clearly, since its HUGE :)

I think the new game is more complicated and some people hate this... I hate the fact that I might have lost the person I played with, and if thats the case I might not play the game for a long time... :sad:

i have no idea how to help u on 7950GX2, but for sure, for regular SLI it works better.. it might cause some problems (its a computer, what do u expect? lol) but maybe a change in driver or patch or soomethin...

as for widescreen, that's a negative, it does not crop anything at 1680x1050. It does crops in BF2, but in bf2142, it does NOT crop anything. ive checked. the map size and the number of text displayed in top left, and health/ammo bar in lower-right corner, all is good :) maybe in 1920x, i dont know... i dont have the horsepower to run it that high lol

1680x is 16:10

1920x is 16:9

correct me if im wrong. but that might be why.

as for complicated, hell yeah! i luv it that way too! less lonewolf, more teamwork oriented....... its great!

plus the stat page from EA is working!

here's my stat :)

http://stage.battlefield.ea.com/battlefiel...s=&PID=81570467

1680x is 16:10

1920x is 16:9

correct me if im wrong. but that might be why.

I think both are 16/10. But haven't done any testing between them and 4/3 to see if there is any cropping... i read about it and everybody said it was the same thing as bf2... but even at bf2, who cares since its better to play at fake WS resolutions than "real" 4/3 ones.

And for that being a problem, the single gpu rendering, it is not... I play at an average of 60+ fps at the highest resolution and with FSAA and Aniso, so all is ok................... except when arty strikes, then all goes all bad :mad:

I haven't checked with only one GPU working, and I don't want to believe my friend's results with the two 7800GTX's... however it could be true.

That link for stats doesn't work... is it part of EA.com or is it from the outside like bf2142tracker.com? I want to see my stats outside the game!!!

... but even at bf2, who cares since its better to play at fake WS resolutions than "real" 4/3 ones.

i care :)

at BF2, when it crops, the screen is *stretched*, while on BF2142, where it doesnt crop, the screen is *wider*.... much better. maybe its unofficially supported then? instead of calling it a hack?

yup, they took down EA stats again. they block 3rd party (like bf2142tracker.com) access temporarily (or so they said) becoz they want to create an "official" EA stat site... hence the link in my previous post. but seems like they shut it down again to fix a few stuff...

oh well.

and yes, i can play around 40-80fps wutveer, but when orbital strike hits, with all the dust n debris n walker's pieces flying all over the place, it drops to the low 20s.... ugh lol