Kicked off school network

UncleDavid218

For how long, I'm not really sure. I'm home sick today so I wasn't able to hear about if from a teacher but one of my friends overheard a conversation between the teacher and district tech. You see, yesterday I was in class, a little bored. I opened up notepad, typed in regedit.exe, and saved it was BPA.bat (the name of my class). I opened up the registry editor and started looking through it, WITH NO intention of modifying any settings, etc. (I'm not here to make somebody's job any harder). I found the proxy settings and looked at the permissions. Didn't see anything alarming, clicked cancel, did not OK or apply any settings, and logged off of the machine. So my question is, when I go to school tomorrow, do I just tell them staight up that I had no intentions of making anybody's day any more difficult? I never get in trouble so this is kind of big. Of course I want to be honest. I need a computer for some of my classes though, so I've already learned my lesson, but any words from the wise?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UncleDavid,

Hacking is hacking no matter witch way you cut it. Term Hack

They most likely will be call you when you get to school.

Lesson learned. Good

Ok, I can follow that. However...

If you want users to stay out of the registry, block access to the registry locally and remotely for those users!

Don't just disable Start -> Run... ;)

UncleDavid218, just make sure you're a hacker, not a cracker, and a White hat hacker at that... ;)

Greetz!

hacker or cracker, schools dont like when you mess with their computers...they dont care if you didnt have any intentions of doing anything, as far as they are concerned, you are hacking their system.

since they booted you off the network, you will be called in for "interrogation"..hopefully it wont be too bad, good luck!

You should tell them pretty much what you said in the first post.

Make sure they understand that you didn't mess with anything, you had no intention of messing with anything, you had no idea that your actions were as serious as they apparently turned out to be, and you will never, ever do it again.

Then let them know that they have a security hole that their idiot IT guy should have closed before ever turning laptops over to a bunch of high school kids.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Better yet David, get on the phone today and call that district tech, or your teacher, or whoever, and tell them what happened. They don't know your buddy overheard them. Tell the truth about what you did, be sincere and let them know you hopefully didn't do any damage, you feel bad, and that even though you did wrong, hopefully it will lead to a more secure system. Be proactive!!!

Better yet David, get on the phone today and call that district tech, or your teacher, or whoever, and tell them what happened. They don't know your buddy overheard them. Tell the truth about what you did, be sincere and let them know you hopefully didn't do any damage, you feel bad, and that even though you did wrong, hopefully it will lead to a more secure system. Be proactive!!!

I disagree. 2 things I have learned-

1. Never fess up unless confronted.

2. It's always better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Ok, I can follow that. However...

If you want users to stay out of the registry, block access to the registry locally and remotely for those users!

Don't just disable Start -> Run... ;)

UncleDavid218, just make sure you're a hacker, not a cracker, and a White hat hacker at that... ;)

Greetz!

Look I like UncleDavid. He is a good person as far as I can tell. He’s got a job; he buys his own computer stuff and goes to school.

But the bottom line weather he did what he did out of malice or not he accessed something he should have not. They saw the access and traced the IP to him.

Which ever definition you want to call hacking it does not matter to the authorities. It is all the same to them. Un-authorized access to a system, file or a program is just that un-authorized. It is exactly how they will look at it.

Hopefully he will only be given a warning. There is no way to speculate, it really depends on the policies of the school and the law.

To make it simple; if I bake a pie and set it on the window sill to cool that does not mean you can take a piece.

I’m sure he will pull through this ok. That is the lesson learned. Right Dave. :)

UncleDavid218, just make sure you're a hacker, not a cracker, and a White hat hacker

regardless of what he wants to consider himself, he still accessed an area he didnt have access to.

hackers usually work for they place they are trying to hack into, crackers being criminals. he does not work for the school (afaik), and he was being a cracker..case closed.

he DID do something wrong, and i hope it all goes well for him.

Thanks all.

I do know that I violated district policy, and in hindsight - I wouldn't do it again.

I'm a good guy (at least I'd like to think so) so I'm going to own up to it.

For the sake of my reputation (and so they don't have to be constantly looking over my shoulder, which they will undoubtably be doing anyway)...

I'm going to attempt to make it clear that I meant no harm but I DID make a mistake and I am willing to accept any and all consequences.

(By the way, in this case -- I believe I was being a hacker. I didn't want to mess anything up, rather, I was interested in how the proxy works)

Curiosity killed the cat, lol

A professor at my college challenged the computer experts in his class once to find a file in his computer. He made a fake grade file, and challenged them to find it. Two girls were sucesful at meeting the challenge, the only problem was that they didn't get the decoy file but the real thing.

It was an acident though, as the prof promted them to, the it was clearly able to trace them, and they didnt even know they messed with the real one.

I think that the prof learned more then the students in that class, as did IT