$500 s939 system possible?

iamkoza

That should be a pretty good lil' rig!

People have actually had pretty good luck O/Cin' Biostar boards. I've been runnin' a Biostar in my HTPC rig for a couple of years, and it's been flawless.

Right now I've got the Fortron "Bluestorm" 500W (very similar to the PSU you picked, as Smoken Joe pointed out.) in my SLI-D. If you don't have high graphics power requirements, it's a nice PSU. Mine is extremely quiet and stable.

I also have 2 Hitachi 160Gb SATA's in RAID-O in my SLI-D. I find them fast and quiet. Mine are slightly older, so they are the slower spec, but in practical terms that really doesn't mean too much in day-to-day apps.

If you go with this nF3 rig, the nF3 platform will only handle 1.5 gb/s anyways! You'd need an nF4 to get the 3.0gb/s.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another question... on dell's website i configured a computer as follows

Components

AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ (assuming its am2 since its using ddr2)

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

No Monitor

256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Accessories

No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)

Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse

No Floppy Drive Included

56K PCI Data Fax Modem

Software

No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

No Security Subscription

Starter pack- Basic and trial products from Corel and Yahoo

Service

1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

AOL 9.0 FI FOR DHS

Also Includes

Mouse included in Dell Wireless Package

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

That was $589... and it seems better than what i proposed for the same price... is he better off going with that dell if he doesnt plan to OC?

Hmm...

F/S forums (right now):

PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W - $90

Mobo: Ultra-D $70

Gfx card: PNY 6600gt 256mb $70

Newegg:

CPU: AMD 64 3200+ Venice $70

HD: Seagate 7200.10 250GB $80

Case: $50 or so

Wait on F/S forums for a 2x512 set to come up; total cost around $530 (including RAM).

hey guys, if you could im thinking that the dell described in post 18 is about as good as the proposed setup i have in post 1... the price of both are the same.

if OC'ing is not planned, honestly, OC'ing is probably not going to happen, especially since my friend is not computer savvy, looking for an opinion... thanks

I would recommend an antec sonata II case.It comes with a power supply.Great deal only $79.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4470276?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Don't get a 754 processor,get at least a 939.

A 3800+ is around $150.

The geforce 7900 gs is decent.

Heres a great deal on a cpu cooler too.http://www.provantage.com/arctic-acfzp64~7ARCT002.htm

Get an opteron and overclock it.Any dfi board will work great.The ultra-d can easily be modded to sli for future consideration.

Good luck.

hey guys, if you could im thinking that the dell described in post 18 is about as good as the proposed setup i have in post 1... the price of both are the same.

if OC'ing is not planned, honestly, OC'ing is probably not going to happen, especially since my friend is not computer savvy, looking for an opinion... thanks

What actually does he plan to do w/it?

does he game at all?

The Dell would come with an operating system too...which would be nice unless he's planning on using Linux.

I agree, if he isn't gaming just get get that dude a Dell. See if you can request nothing installed on it though, I've heard they do that sometimes. At least that way you could do a clean install of Windows and not have all the added software Dell includes.