$500 s939 system possible?

iamkoza

The Dell isn't that bad. However fixing a bunch for people and cleaning out the inside while I was at it, I wouldn't reccomend them. The mobo's have always been strange non-standard sizes and the psu's don't use normal mounting holes. I'd get an HP myself if I was going to buy a computer.

However with a x1300 card, gaming performance won't be all that great.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dell would come with an operating system too...which would be nice unless he's planning on using Linux.

I agree, if he isn't gaming just get get that dude a Dell. See if you can request nothing installed on it though, I've heard they do that sometimes. At least that way you could do a clean install of Windows and not have all the added software Dell includes.

Unfortunately some of that added software seems to be slipstreamed onto the install disc. It's not as much as a normal install from them, but some is still there :rolleyes:

However the install discs are xp corporate and don't need to be activated over the net or anything so doing a fresh install won't cause any problems.

he does plan to game, but more so he just needs a decent computer. I'm thinking either choice allows him to game (not much eye candy, but he should be able to get decent framerates)... more so the guy just needs a decent computer.

he does plan to game, but more so he just needs a decent computer. I'm thinking either choice allows him to game (not much eye candy, but he should be able to get decent framerates)... more so the guy just needs a decent computer.

Depending on what Dell offers nowadys they might have PCI-e slots...so maybe in a couple months he could throw in a better video card.

The addware on a dell can be crippeling they had a review on Hardocp and bought a higher colst gaming computer that could not pass

3dmark. Otherwise they are not that bad and if you can get the corperate versions for a good price they have much less. Upgrades can be brutal on a dell to so get what you need up front. They are getting very cheap AMD's too before long.

The main thing is that Dells are a true pain to work on if they brake much like that compac basicly have him get a decent warrenty and run.

There is pretty much no real diffrence in game performance between a 939 and a 754 system when using similar video cards. Same for nearly all apps when using a E stepping (newer 90NM) 754 core. No the fastest cards dont come 754 but he cant afford that anyway.

There is a Dell being offered w/a X2 3800 for $399 and free shipping,

http://dealnews.com/

If it has the pci-e slot available,might be enough left over to upgrade gfx

Also look here for some other options,

http://www.techbargains.com/

thanks for this link to the am2 x2 3800+ dell!! My friend more than likely is going to be going this route. It's a pretty good price, obviously me building a pc would be the best choice, but for his needs, the dell is a better choice. With 1 GB of ram, the cost ends up being $450... he'll then be buying a bfg 7600 gt ($114 AR at newegg) to replace the onboard graphics, all in all for less than $600 he'll have a nice setup, thanks again for all your advice and tips!

Just make sure it's got an available 16x pci-e slot,I remember I was going to upgrade my sis gateway w/an AGP card and there wasn't a slot

according to the listed specs it has one, i wasn't sure and had to check also, i figured since it was am2, they would have it, but you never know