975 oc'ing mini guide

raju

will be glad to do so, auto timings seem best anything over 430fsb with the new bios...

The finicky nature of the older 816/830 bios is a thing of the past really, the drive strengths are now all useable and don't seem to affect the reboot ability of the board as much.

Those of us here with watercooling or better should be able to hit some real nice ocdb entries with this new bios. In fact the average should surpass all other boards on the 975 chipset. I reckon 425 is within reach using 1.75 nb volts and a decent cooler or fan blasting some air onto the heatsink..

regards

Raja

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

updated the first thread with some text in blue.

Anything else you guys find from your own personal use can be added too..

happy_g have you tried anything over 400fsb with your e6600 yet?

also, is there any chance you can forwards the trc setting info to the bios team?

If they have another release planned, it'll be nice to be able to set the ram timings manually over 430 fsb or so, then we can run ram at spec under ddr 1000 if we wish and have trc not default to 1...

regards

Raja

Im using the 11/15/2006 beta bios. It's pretty stable and no crashes(this bios version reboots instead of freezing) during battlefield 2142 or burning dvd's. I run orthos and after 10 minutes it reboots(crashes). 400x9 seems to be my most stable oc. I am really happy with my DFI infinity 975X/G board with this latest beta bios. Any advice if I should enable or disable something in my bios please say so.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/Riv...cs/000_0003.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/Riv...cs/000_0002.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/Riv...cs/000_0005.jpg

disable execute disable bit (just for arguments sake).

also, set all cas and tras to auto. Leave divider at 533.

Check cpu temps, keep the nb as cool as you can, stick an extra fan blowing at the nb if poss.

I use the thermatke extreme spirit II plus a 90mm fan at full blast aimed at the cooler, temps are around 40 degrees under full load at 1.84 nb volts, which is pretty good..

regards

Raja

updated the first thread with some text in blue.

Anything else you guys find from your own personal use can be added too..

happy_g have you tried anything over 400fsb with your e6600 yet?

also, is there any chance you can forwards the trc setting info to the bios team?

If they have another release planned, it'll be nice to be able to set the ram timings manually over 430 fsb or so, then we can run ram at spec under ddr 1000 if we wish and have trc not default to 1...

regards

Raja

haven't tried more than 400x9 on the E6600 and it is in my main rig now @ 334x9 for everyday use, doubt I'll be pushing it any higher.

I am just getting started with the E6400. Got a 16h OCDB entry @ 400x8 about 3 benchmarks from now ;)

what TRC setting do you want forwarded to the BIOS team? You need to write it out exactly as you would explain it directly to the bios engineer and remember they hardly understand english so stick to the point and don't use any 'americanisms' etc ;)

I will test a little further so I can post a couple of results between auto and manual timings, so that the engineers can see effect (if there is one).

If you open CPU-z you'll see the trc setting in the memory screen (bank cycle time). That particular setting is auto set by the board and is not available to adjust manually (which is not really the problem), however one thing I did discover is that setting the timings on manual causes that setting to default to 1, whilst on auto it sets to around 15 on the 9x multi at 445fsb. I noticed instability on my other infinity with manual timings..

When I get this Orthos run out of the way, I'll run more tests and get something conclusive together... I think highlighted screenshots showing any changes or instability will be best..

Hopefully I'll be able to find out if my older board (which had been through the ringer), was the problem..

wid out da american jive, lol i'd love to see those guys decipher all my info in that style ...

regards

Raja

If you open CPU-z you'll see the trc setting in the memory screen (bank cycle time). That particular setting is auto set by the board and is not available to adjust manually (which is not really the problem), however one thing I did discover is that setting the timings on manual causes that setting to default to 1, whilst on auto it sets to around 15 on the 9x multi at 445fsb.

I've never seen this default to 1. It always defaults anywhere from 16 to 30 on the 975X/G depending on what RAM i have in and how fast the system is running

I've never seen this default to 1. It always defaults anywhere from 16 to 30 on the 975X/G depending on what RAM i have in and how fast the system is running

yeah only seems to manifest after 430 fsb, unless using auto settings, under that no problems..

tbh, it's outside the scope of a major fix really, no-one really pushes that hard 24/7 unless on phase or good chilled water..

Still I shall try and find the time to get to the bottom of any effects..

regards

Raja

ok, some E6400 OCDB entries

both are using Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12

the first one is using the 533 divider @ 375x8 (3000Mhz):

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...34&postcount=27

the second one is the same exact setup but I had to drop to the 400 divider and went up to 400x8 (3200Mhz):

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...51&postcount=28

I will of course update as I get more done. I'm right now running Orthos @ 425x8 (3400Mhz) on the 400 divider using these Dominator 800's.

Once I feel like I've peaked out, I will go back through with some Dominator 1066's, OCZ's ATI Crossfire Certified, etc and try various memory timings, dividers, etc

great stuff man, that dominator stuff is Micron D9 I believe so should scale quite well with voltage. I run my D9 between 2.35-2.4 vdimm 24/7..

I've nearly hit the 12 hour mark here with 445fsb, so my db entry at home is nearly ready. After that I'll start looking into the bank cycle time and fsb...

regards

Raja

only problem with these Dom800's is they don't seem to want to do even a hair over 800Mhz no matter what I do to them (but I haven't tried giving them the Dom 1066 timings, and hte SPD is the exact same on both the Dom 800's and 1066's so I'm assuming they are exact same IC's one is just binned higher)

anyway, we'll see heh

I've got a lot of room to fool around with on the 400 divider so hopefully a lot of room to fool around with on the mobo itself ;)

I just entered the manual timings on this newer infinity board and I don't get the trc issue at all, so I can only summise that my old board was pooped (hardly surprising considering what I did to it).. So no probs on the TRC setting.

I just reduced the nb voltage to 1.77, the board boots at 445fsb every time, which is the best I've seen yet on the 975 chipset.

I can't go any higher on the 400mhz ram speed, 533 works just as well, even at cas 4-4-4-10.

regards

Raja

edit HG, have you noticed cooler nb temps with this newer bios or what? Idle is at 30 degrees (1.77vnb), load around 39...

did not know there was a newer revision on these boards...

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=69

my new board is the older version......

easiest way to check is the r401 and m252 writing to the right of the infinity logo in the white borderlined box, on the older board m252 is written underneath r401, on the newer version r401 is written on it's own..

easier still the newer version has 3 caps above the ide connector...

regards

Raja