DFI NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 probems

Guest DaddyD302_merged

Too many time someone uses WinFlash to update the bios, it completes successfully and asks the the computer be restarted. Once restarted the system is dead. For the average person it's not worth the chance. I use it myself but I would never recommend anyone else use it. I have other boards that I can use to hotflash the chip if something does go wrong. But I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else killing their system.

Flash with cd. Tmod's Bios Flash CD & Utility CDs NF/4/3/2+ATI

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many time someone uses WinFlash to update the bios, it completes successfully and asks the the computer be restarted. Once restarted the system is dead. For the average person it's not worth the chance. I use it myself but I would never recommend anyone else use it. I have other boards that I can use to hotflash the chip if something does go wrong. But I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else killing their system.

then it's the floppy :rolleyes:

Guest DaddyD302

Can only do 242 fsb atm at 11X. Will not go any higher without windows rebooting. Volt is at 1.4, ram volt at 2.17. Timing is on auto, which is 5-5-5-15-22-2T. Will run Nvidia's stability for 6 hours, but 244 fsb crashed. I'm also concern at the temps, it's 49 atm[since I've seen other's at 32-35], and usually around that at boot. I'm just using the Thermaltake Silent Boost RX K8, which I found out is silent but cooling is well, not great. Barely better then stock. Not sure if I wanna OC the fsb more and lower the multiplier or not. I wonder if it's wiser to wait till I get a better HS or go ahead if these temps are safe. At 49 boot up, I'm kinda nervous. For the record, at stock it's like 45 boot up, so it was high to begin with. Also my 3d06 I think is kinda low. Any advices?

3DMark Score 7741 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 3514 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 3371 Marks

CPU Score 1972 Marks

Edit: according to Everest my cpu temp is 36, weird, is Everest more accurate?

I think the temp sensor may be off on my board because it reads 41 degrees idle and that is not effected by how much voltage I slap to the chip. I have applied upto 1.56 volts to the chip and it always idles at 41. I have reseated the TDX on the thing 3 times thinking that may be the issue.

I really have no great concern about temps as I figure at the Price of X2 chips nowadays, if it pops I will just grab another and know to watch it next time :)

Can only do 242 fsb atm at 11X. Will not go any higher without windows rebooting. Volt is at 1.4, ram volt at 2.17. Timing is on auto, which is 5-5-5-15-22-2T. Will run Nvidia's stability for 6 hours, but 244 fsb crashed. I'm also concern at the temps, it's 49 atm[since I've seen other's at 32-35], and usually around that at boot. I'm just using the Thermaltake Silent Boost RX K8, which I found out is silent but cooling is well, not great. Barely better then stock. Not sure if I wanna OC the fsb more and lower the multiplier or not. I wonder if it's wiser to wait till I get a better HS or go ahead if these temps are safe. At 49 boot up, I'm kinda nervous. For the record, at stock it's like 45 boot up, so it was high to begin with. Also my 3d06 I think is kinda low. Any advices?

3DMark Score 7741 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 3514 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 3371 Marks

CPU Score 1972 Marks

Edit: according to Everest my cpu temp is 36, weird, is Everest more accurate?

I think you need to pump your CPU with a little more volatage IMO. Go to like 1.45 - 1.5

I am new to DFi motherboards, but would really like to get onboard. I was told to come here to these forums and see what others have and most importantly, whether the board I am interested in has any problems. It looks like a number of guys in here are having some difficulties with the this new board. Could it be the BIOS? It looks like only one is out at this time ... so does that mean there are problems with the type of RAM? Drivers? I am not sure what to expect at this point in time but any suggestions would be helpful. I was planning on getting these components for my DFi build:

DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

Antec Performance I P180B ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2 Seagate 7900.10 250gb hard drives (0 RAID config)

Plus any other peripherals that I might need. Any suggestions before I buy?

actually, here's the rule

1. if you have a floppy, flash it that way

2. if you want to use winflash, make sure your machine is 100% and running at stock speed.

NEVER flash a bios when overclocked, whether with a floppy or winflash.

If you are flashing because you need to gain stability, then do NOT flash with winflash.

Windows environments on unstable machines = easy corruption of the data being written to your bios, which = dead rock at the bottom of the lake.

Winflash is not any more or less safe on a stable machine.

I've flashed many times in winflash. I've never had a problem (and I can bet I have flashed bioses 100x more than anyone in this forum except maybe Rgone and Tmod lol).

I still prefer floppy flashing, and always have an $8 floppy drive hanging around.

I will flash winflash without hesitation if I am quite sure my windows install is stable.

DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

Antec Performance I P180B ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2 Seagate 7900.10 250gb hard drives (0 RAID config)

Plus any other peripherals that I might need. Any suggestions before I buy?

I would actually consider the Platinum 6400 over the gold as it has been seen with other motherboards people had issues with the GOLD. I have not seen problems here with the gold as of yet but it is alway sbetter to be safe then sorry.

Okay, I've done some more searching and need to know two things. One, has anyone dealt with ZipZoomFly ? How has their delivery/customer relations/etc, etc.. been? Any problems?

Second, for a price difference of only $39.00 more, I believe I would be happy with this RAM OCZ2P10002GK 2GB DDR2-1000 Enhanced Latency Platinum XTC Edition Dual Channel Memory

I had already decided to shuck the GOLD in favor of this OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory that was until I saw that ZZF had the EL Platinum XTC. Deal or no deal? :rolleyes:

Okay, I've done some more searching and need to know two things. One, has anyone dealt with ZipZoomFly ? How has their delivery/customer relations/etc, etc.. been? Any problems?

Second, for a price difference of only $39.00 more, I believe I would be happy with this RAM OCZ2P10002GK 2GB DDR2-1000 Enhanced Latency Platinum XTC Edition Dual Channel Memory

I had already decided to shuck the GOLD in favor of this OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory that was until I saw that ZZF had the EL Platinum XTC. Deal or no deal?

I've ordered a few things from ZZF a while ago and their service is very much like that of Newegg. I primarily stick with newegg because they usually have the best prices.

IMO if you would prefer the DDR-1000 from ZZF I say go for it.

Will someone please clear something up for me. So are the problems we experience typical bios issues from that of a brand new on the market board or is this also a problem with the nf590 chipset? If it's the latter, then would RMAing the board at a later date be advisable and would that mean they'd have better nf590 chips on the board by a certain time? I was told that my board has a 3-year warranty on it, so i'm not particularly worried, if that's what I have to do.