Expert and 3800 Venice or 146 Venus?

Capt Proton

Can't decide what my best bet is, A64 Venice 3800+ or Opteron Venus 146. No sign of a Venice in the 3GHz club, lots of Venus. Not many posts I can find out "in the world" of a Venice above 2.8, though there are a few.

$47 USD difference with Venice the lower.

Opinions?

Go with the Venus, not only do they usually overcclock better, but Ut has a 1mb L2 whereas the venice only has 512k L2

Have you considered going dual core?

I have a very sweet 148 Opteron that will do 3.1 24/7 but my 4400 mops the floor with it for everyday computing and gaming at 2.6. My rig does everything better with a dual core..

Most of 3800 X2's will do 2.6 making it a pretty sweet deal at 150 bucks.

Have you considered going dual core?

I have a very sweet 148 Opteron that will do 3.1 24/7 but my 4400 mops the floor with it for everyday computing and gaming at 2.6. My rig does everything better with a dual core..

Most of 3800 X2's will do 2.6 making it a pretty sweet deal at 150 bucks.

True dat for the 3800+. Opty 165's are sweet as well.

Haven't seen many good overclocks on them, and the bechmarks for what I do, gaming and single apps, don't support the extra dollars. I'm mainly looking for the overclock, and single core is all I need. If I could get a dual core that overclocked really well, at or near the same price as a single core, then I would buy it. If not, I don't think it would be value added.

Open to other opinions.

Took a look at prices overhere. X2 3800+ is €30 more expensive than the Venice 3800+. Both Boxed.

My choice would be the X2 with a glance at the future of Multi-threading.

True, most X2's don't go past 3G, hell, you should be happy if it passes 2,8 or 2,6 Ghz for that matter... However, multiply that by 2, and it's a whole different ball-game... ;)

It's something I had to teach myself as well during the first week... LoL

Greetz!

You will be very lucky to get a Venice over 2.7 ghz. I have a 3800 and 2.7 ghz is my max stable over-clock achieved. I will personally not make a move to a multi-core cpu, until the prices drop, AMD comes out with a cpu that destroys the Conroe, and most games support multi core. I never burn DVD's while I am playing games anyway. So, I can wait.

Took a look at prices overhere. X2 3800+ is €30 more expensive than the Venice 3800+. Both Boxed.

My choice would be the X2 with a glance at the future of Multi-threading.

True, most X2's don't go past 3G, hell, you should be happy if it passes 2,8 or 2,6 Ghz for that matter... However, multiply that by 2, and it's a whole different ball-game... ;)

It's something I had to teach myself as well during the first week... LoL

Greetz!

Not sure what you're implyimg by "multiply that by 2". It's not like any single app will use both cores is it? I thought the dual core only really comes into play if you are running multiple apps.

Besides, there's quite a difference in price between a single and dual core for the performance gains I'm reading in reviews. In the reviews, the Venice kicks the 3800 dual core in single apps, and games, especially once overclocked to 2.8 or so, which appears pretty common.

Oh well, more research. It's always the same. I started looking at a DFI Ultra D for $112 USD and a Venice 3800+ for $114 USD, decided I'd kick my self for not going to the Expert. Then saw an Opteron 146 OEM for $114 USD. By the time I decided to go with the Opteron, 18hrs, the $114 USD version was gone from the website. The Opteron 146 still there was a boxed version for $160 USD! But, I liked what I had found on the Opteron and am now deciding if the extra $100 USD to go to the Expert and Opty 146 are worth it. Now folks are making me look at dual core CPUs that will up the price a minimum of $50 USD. Soon, I'll probably say screw it, and fork out $500 USD for something even better! Isn't this fun?

What's wrong with the set up you have now? In all honesty going from your Newark at 2700 to a Venice at 2800 you won't even notice a difference while using your rig, might see a 5 - 8% increase in benchmarks but that would be about it. Not much bang for the buck going from 754 to 939 just to gain 100 - 200 mhz..