Expert and 3800 Venice or 146 Venus?

Capt Proton

Not sure what you're implyimg by "multiply that by 2". It's not like any single app will use both cores is it? I thought the dual core only really comes into play if you are running multiple apps.

Besides, there's quite a difference in price between a single and dual core for the performance gains I'm reading in reviews. In the reviews, the Venice kicks the 3800 dual core in single apps, and games, especially once overclocked to 2.8 or so, which appears pretty common.

Oh well, more research. It's always the same. I started looking at a DFI Ultra D for $112 USD and a Venice 3800+ for $114 USD, decided I'd kick my self for not going to the Expert. Then saw an Opteron 146 OEM for $114 USD. By the time I decided to go with the Opteron, 18hrs, the $114 USD version was gone from the website. The Opteron 146 still there was a boxed version for $160 USD! But, I liked what I had found on the Opteron and am now deciding if the extra $100 USD to go to the Expert and Opty 146 are worth it. Now folks are making me look at dual core CPUs that will up the price a minimum of $50 USD. Soon, I'll probably say screw it, and fork out $500 USD for something even better! Isn't this fun?

I would stay away from the expert board.They have issues.I purchased one moving from my SLI-DR and out of the box,cold boot problems.They dont read the temps correctly also which is a problem they hacked with a bios patch.Not even a fix for the problem but just a temp off set.It may not seem to be a big deal,but to me when i purchase something new i expect it to work.I sent back the expert board,in the mean time i sold my SLI-DR then had to go a purchase another SLI-DR.Do some research her in the fourm on the expert.The cold boot can be corrected by a new power supply if that happens,but something to think about.Go with the SLI-DR.I just put up a 3 month old 146 opty that in ocdb at 3.0 if your interested its in the for sale thread.