Is it Just BF2 being BF2?

watsonte

I have never had a PC shutdown with BF2, Crashing back to desktop and loosing connection yes and the connection being lost is 9 times out of 10 due to a crash of the server were everyone gets kicked. If I overclock the heck out of my G/card and it cant handle it my PC will power off.

Dead on, I can bench with my card at 570/1240, but it is'nt game stable.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead on, I can bench with my card at 570/1240, but it is'nt game stable.

Yeah the thing is it does this whole shutdown bit at stock settings....and doesnt shutdown when overclocking in other apps and games...

Yeah the thing is it does this whole shutdown bit at stock settings....and doesnt shutdown when overclocking in other apps and games...

Any error's in event viewer? Most game's and app's process different, and some stress different "sector's" (not 100% sure how to explain what I'm trying to say).

Some example's from my own games. Never had a problem with BF2 (yet), at the same vid card settings (560/610 (1220DDR)) FEAR crashes my vid card. (PC is Still on, sound glitches, monitor shut's off). the slightest instability (CPU/RAM) reboot's my PC when playing WoW. Why i dont really know, FEAR does'nt seem anymore graphiclly intensive than BF2. So as has been said, your BF2 is fubard, Your PSU could be overheating (I've had this problem with the rear fan wire obstructing my PSU fan). Which eventually could lead to hardware problem's I'm sure. Or your Vid card is havig issue's, and some aspect of BF2 stresses some part of your vid card more than other game's you play (could try to find a different game that uses the same 3D engine as BF2 to test that out).

Any error's in event viewer? Most game's and app's process different, and some stress different "sector's" (not 100% sure how to explain what I'm trying to say).

Some example's from my own games. Never had a problem with BF2 (yet), at the same vid card settings (560/610 (1220DDR)) FEAR crashes my vid card. (PC is Still on, sound glitches, monitor shut's off). the slightest instability (CPU/RAM) reboot's my PC when playing WoW. Why i dont really know, FEAR does'nt seem anymore graphiclly intensive than BF2. So as has been said, your BF2 is fubard, Your PSU could be overheating (I've had this problem with the rear fan wire obstructing my PSU fan). Which eventually could lead to hardware problem's I'm sure. Or your Vid card is havig issue's, and some aspect of BF2 stresses some part of your vid card more than other game's you play (could try to find a different game that uses the same 3D engine as BF2 to test that out).

I have gone through the same series of questions and answers you have posted here with others, prior to posting, and after. It seems odd to me that its only BF2, but at the same time currently its the only game I am playing, thus my prusuite to solve this problem...

I am currently contacting people over at OCZ to see what there thoughts are on the PSU overheating....and the Video Cards, well I dont think they are the total reason, but I am not going to hesistate RMAing them within the next week if they continue to result in issues...

If you know of any games that do use the BF2 engine I will gladly try them, I just dont know of any....

If you know of any games that do use the BF2 engine

Unfortuntely (or fortunately) the BF2 engine is only used in BF2. Reading through the posts, looking your specs over, this has me scratching my head. I just popped a 4400 in my rig (same setup as sig only cpu changed), a CCBIE 0610 like yours, and have not had a problem with BF2. I'm currrently running at 11x245 at the moment. No crashes in BF2 etc....

When you reinstalled the game, did you clean the registry ? If not, uninstall BF2, reboot, clean the registry with something like RegVac, reboot, reinstall and patch with the full version 1.3. Also, once you have your ingame settings where you want them, load a map and let the shaders program. Once the map loads, exit the game and defrag the pc. BF2 stores all shader info in My Dcouments/BF2/Mods/Profiles/Cache or something like that. The important part is the Cache folder. Only keep one folder for programmable shaders here. Each time the programmable shaders set-up, a new folder with the current shaders is created. Keep this minimal. If game perrformaance starts to suffer, delete the contents of this folder and let the game reprogram the shaders on the next map load.

Aside from that what vid drivers are you using ? I'm using 91.33 betas with my EVGA 7900 GT KO. I'm running the card 560/850.

Sorry if I was redundent in any way. I hope this might help you out.

Unfortuntely (or fortunately) the BF2 engine is only used in BF2. Reading through the posts, looking your specs over, this has me scratching my head. I just popped a 4400 in my rig (same as sig only cpu changed), a CCBIE 0610 like yours, and have not had a problem with BF2. I'm currrently running at 11x245 at the moment. No crashes in BF2 etc....

When you reinstalled the game, did you clean the registry ? If not, uninstall BF2, reboot, clean the registry with something like RegVac, reboot, reinstall and patch with the full version 1.3. Also, once you have your ingame settings where you want them, load a map and let the shaders program. Once the map loads, exit the game and defrag the pc. BF2 stores all shader info in My Dcouments/BF2/Mods/Profiles/Cache or something like that. The important part is the Cache folder. Only keep one folder for programmable shaders here. Each time the programmable shaders set-up, a new folder with the current shaders is created. Keep this minimal. If game perrformaance starts to suffer, delete the contents of this folder and let the game reprogram the shaders on the next map load.

Aside from that what vid drivers are you using ? I'm using 91.33 betas with my EVGA 7900 GT KO. I'm running the card 560/850.

Sorry if I was redundent in any way. I hope this might help you out.

I have tried up through the 91.33 drivers and I am going to see if the newer drivers 91.47 or whatever change anything, I have not recently uninstalled BF2 the first two times I did a full re-format so registry was clean...

But, I think I will try again and clean it out with RegVac or something as suggested...either way I will see what I can do

I am using the 84.21 drivers no issues. I installed the newer ones and I had bad results. Played older games like dod and it did similar things to what you are saying.

I am using the 84.21 drivers no issues. I installed the newer ones and I had bad results. Played older games like dod and it did similar things to what you are saying.

Actually for me the 84.21 dont seem to like my 7900s at all, they resulted in less crashes, meaning I could play for maybe 15-20min longer, however, the FPS seemed to slow down and all in all it was worse trying to play with older drivers versus the 91.31 or 91.33s.....

W. one more thing. This is probably too obvious, but have you installed the AMD cpu drivers, installed the MS Hot Fix and installed the AMD Optimizer driver ?

It just struck me that I should have included this in my post, but it slipped my mind that moment.

W. one more thing. This is probably too obvious, but have you installed the AMD cpu drivers, installed the MS Hot Fix and installed the AMD Optimizer driver ?

It just struck me that I should have included this in my post, but it slipped my mind that moment.

Yep....