Best 3.0 GB/s Hard drives

watsonte

Okay I have my raptors which are nice and I like them, but if I ever have to buy new hard drives I dont know what I would go to....Recently I have noticed that my large music collection is begining to take up a large amount of space about 30GB worth, and with games and with games and other various files taking up about 70GB I am left with about 30GB or so....and I feel like that might go quickly...

So getting to the point of this thread, what would be the Best medium sized (120GB - 250ish?) Hard drives....

Seagate? or Western Digital? or Hitachi?

Also I am not looking for a drive just for storage..I thought about that and will get a separate external drive if I got that route...

I personally like Western Digitals and Seagates, but a friend has a pair of 80GB SATA2 Hitachis in RAID0 and they're fast! I'm thinking about doing 4x160GB drives in RAID5, and I'm probably going to go with Seagate. A guy I work with owns his own company (Incredible Technologies) and has built over 2,000 machines, all with Seagates. He claims that he hasn't had one call about a bad drive yet!

I personally like Western Digitals and Seagates, but a friend has a pair of 80GB SATA2 Hitachis in RAID0 and they're fast! I'm thinking about doing 4x160GB drives in RAID5, and I'm probably going to go with Seagate. A guy I work with owns his own company (Incredible Technologies) and has built over 2,000 machines, all with Seagates. He claims that he hasn't had one call about a bad drive yet!

Wow thats rather impressive...someone once told be Seagates were loud drives...then I also heard Raptors were loud and I cant say that I can hear my drives all that well...is there any truth to this?

I have a Seagate... and it's slightly louder than my other 160GB WD... but barely even noticeable.

Yeah thats what I figured...that Raid 5 your were talking about sounds appealing...hmmm

Looks like I am open to more suggestions about what you guys out there like...

It seems the battle is between Seagate and WD, also...Retail vs. OEM, I have always baught OEM, but is there anything nicer with Retail?

You get cables and from time to time a diagnostic CD, but you can download that from the manufacturers site for free anyway...

But $320 for a perpendicular recording, 16MB cache, RAID5 setup is sounding really really good

LINKY

I'll let others give you their advice... my vote is for Seagate

You get cables and from time to time a diagnostic CD, but you can download that from the manufacturers site for free anyway...

But $320 for a perpendicular recording, 16MB cache, RAID5 setup is sounding really really good

LINKY

I'll let others give you their advice... my vote is for Seagate

Thats a so very tempting choice....hmmmm what about these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148161

I mainly use WD drives, but feel they are about the same in quality as seagates. I grab old out of warranty WD drives from friends and use the serial # for WD's customer loyalty program. Saves about 25% over newegg's price.

Yeah but they dont have a sufficient amount in stock....I just convinced myself it was a good buy...and I go to my cart and bam insufficient amount in stock....

Still looking....adn good Idea CPDMF with the loyalty program...