DFI Ultra D and ATI X1900GT or X1900XT Cards

redneckms

I am interested in building a new system and need some insight on how well these components play together? Are there and issues with ATI cards on the Nforce Motherboard. Also does the GSkill ram work well?

DAB,

On a retail HS, how cool and quiet are the x1900xt? I am looking for quiet as well as performance. I was also looking at the x1900gt from connect3d. It is around 199 after rebates on Newegg. But from a future standpoint the x1900xt and 512 ram looks good for 90.00 more than the GT. But I hear the GT is quieter.

What says you?

Guest area51

Quiet is a pipe dream on ANY new ATI card.

The only exception is the HIS iceQ3 line which have modified coolers.

All you need to do is buy an Arctic Cooling X2 and pop it on the X1900XT and you will be in business...I did this on a X1900XT I had and it made all the difference in the world.

The stock heatsink sounds like a devil possessed dust buster...

Guest area51

Hmmm....X1900GT's are in a wierd place. Most benches show them about equal to an X1800XT at lower resolutions but falling behind it at higher resolutions due to them only have 12 pipes.

I guess my two cents would be if you have the money take the X1900XT and clock it into an XTX. If you have less to spend pick up an X1800XT...newegg has them for 200.00 right now.

You should google around and read the reviews for yourself but I myself was not impressed with the X1900GT. It was getting owned at high res with eye candy turned on by the older X1800XT (256MB version) ...

yeah, the x1900gt is a decent card, but gets blown away by the x1900xt. the 7900gt is actually a pretty good card in the same price range as the 1900gt. it normally performs better than the x1900gt, but again, not as fast as the xt. if you can afford it, definitely the xt and an aftermarket cooler. otherwise, the 7900gt would be your next best choice.

The x1900xt stock cooler is fine, at stock clock speeds. When you start cranking up the voltages and clock speeds, the stocker can get hot n loud.

I've noticed that it has a huge range between coool n quiet and.. it has to get very hot before the sensor will set the fan to 100%. It has worked fine for me, and I would not say that the card is loud at stock settings. In fact my workstation is rather peaceful.

Of course when I'm gaming with the headphones on full tilt, it might get noisy but who can tell in the middle of a frag fest? The only time I noticed the sound was during benchmarks. And we know that these computers aren't really built just for benches, are they? ;)

As for the x1900gt, it's a good card for what it is. Check the price drops, you might get a great deal on one if that's what your budget dictates. The hint towards the x1800xt is a good one, but honestly you're better off (frame rate wise) to save for the x1900xt.

I saw the x1900xt on sale for $377 CDN yesterday (Sapphire Lite Retail, paid $450 for mine..).

Well 95% of my work will be on photos and webdesigns. I do some video editing but not often. I play about 4 nights a week and that is only for a few hours at a time.That is the reason for the GT card. I am still on a 9800Pro at 128 megs and I play fairly well in my games. I would rather spend more on the processing horsepower at first then move to a better Vcard later. We will just see on the prices.

Red

Read here about using teh x1900xt on DFI NF4 boards. We use them, love them, and overclock them successfully.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58103

I concur, I own an x1900xt on my dfi lanparty ut with the nf4 chipset, and it overclocks like a dream.

If someone could release the unlocked drivers to allow crossfire on nvidia chipsets, I'd be in 7th heaven.