First DFI board and I need help getting stable

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much reading and researching, I basically set the most stable settings for my new memory. So far, my system has been rock solid.

4 passes in Memtest went without a problem and I'm Prime95 stable for 24 hours (2 instances, one for each core). I've also played at least 10 hours of Counter Strike: Source as well, all without a problem.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Below are my settings, hopefully someone can put them to good use (the voltages in parenthesis are what is reported by Smartguardian in Windows):

Advanced Chispset Features:	

AGP Aperture Size (MB).......................... 	128

AGP 3.0 Speed................................... 	Auto

AGP Fast Write..................................	Auto

AGP Sideband ADdress............................ 	Auto

Clock Spread Spectrum........................... 	Enabled

CPU Thermal Throttling.......................... 	50.0%

Special I/O for PCI Card........................ 	Disabled

System Bios Cacheable........................... 	Disabled

S/W memory hole Remapping....................... 	Disabled

H/W memory hole Remapping.......................	Disabled

Bottom of 32-bit[31:24]IO....................... 	E0

Genie BIOS Settings:	

CPU Overclock In Mhz............................ 	200

Hammer FID Control.............................. 	StartUp

AGP Overclock In Mhz............................ 	67

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio......................... 	Auto

AMD K8 Cool & Quiet............................. 	Disabled

CPU VID Control................................. 	1.425 (1.4)

Chip Set Voltage Control........................ 	1.65 (1.61)

Memory Voltage Control.......................... 	2.7 (2.72)

AGP Voltage Control............................. 	1.5 (1.47)

DRAM Configuration Settings:	

Max Memclock (Mhz).............................. 	200

1T/2T Memory Timing............................. 	2

CAS# latency (Tcl).............................. 	2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)....................... 	3

Min RAS# active time (Tras)..................... 	8

Row Precharge Time (Trp)........................ 	2

Write Recovery Time (Twr)....................... 	3

RAS# to RAS# delay (Trrd)....................... 	4

Row refresh timg (Trfc)......................... 	17

Row Cycle Time (Trc)............................ 	16

Wite-to-Read Delay (Twtr)....................... 	2

Read-to-Write Delay (trwt)...................... 	3

Refresh Rate (Tref)............................. 	3120

Write CAS Latency (Twcl)........................ 	Auto

Max Asynchronous Latency (Twcl)................. 	7

Read Preamble................................... 	5

Dynamic Counter................................. 	32

DRAM Drive Strenght............................. 	Normal

DDR Data Drive Strength......................... 	Auto

DRAM Bank Interleaving.......................... 	Disabled

32-Byte Granularity.............................	4 beats

If, after looking at my settings, you guys have any general comments on any particular setting, please let me know if I should change it or whatever.

Thanks again.

I’m glad your problem’s under control. Remember you own that PC and you should demand respect from it.

As far as taking care of the problem is concern, you are now considered “An Ex-Noob”.

And since you took care of your first, most intense system stability related problem, you are now “A Pro.” And you do qualify to help and be part of this group called “DFI-Street Junkies” who volunteered to help the helpless.

Again welcome to DFI-Street.

Since you have enough rams,

Give the AGP aperture size to 256MB.

AGP 3.0 Speed… “8x”

AGP Fast write…“Disabled”

CPU Thermal Throttling…”Disabled”

Set BIOS shutdown temperature to "60-70c"

Also 24Hrs Prime is more than you need to know whether system is stable. You can shut Prime off now and enjoy your CS games. I’m also Half-Lifer :) .

I don’t know what type of PSU you got, but I like to let you know that PSU does play extremely important role when it comes to system stability and CPU OC-ing.

You need to have stable and clean current flowing into your system and system components (HDD, V-Card, CPU, Etc.).

Read about PSU and find which one is suitable to your system needs. Getting bigger PSU (Minimum 600w) is always cool, since you may upgrade system and your PSU doesn’t have to operate at maximum peak.

Brand name and model plus positive reviews, is what makes PSUs different and better than each other. Price is never the option.

If your PSU isn't giving problem and Prime ran for 24Hrs without a problem, disregard this.

Also it always cool to get Surge-Guard between system and wall-jack. Its summer time and those rolling storms and brown-outs can get your system.

Good Luck.

Yeah, I got this PSU a long time ago (and for very cheap) before I really knew that a PSU could play such an important role in the system. When I first started having problems, I almost just went and bought a new PSU, but then I decided to seek help here.

Now, I do plan on OC'ing, and once I do, I'm going to ditch this one and I'm considering 2 PSU's, both of which seemed to get good reviews and recommendations:

OCZ PowerStream 600W (OCZ600ADJSLI)

or

OCZ GameXStream 700W (OCZ700GXSSLI)

I know both are probably overkill because I won't have SLI or a very demanding video card with this board, but if it is quality and lasts, it can go into my next system.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for pointing me in the right directions and helping me learn to tweak my board.

I have the gamexstream in a dfi nf3, and it is quiet, powerfull, and works perfectly in most cases because of it's "standard" size, which is small for a 600w psu. Many people will say to you the gameXstream is the new generation from ocz, while powerstream is older and less interesting. It's rock stable and, just like you, I wanted this psu for the future, in case I would want sli in my next system.

Yeah, I got this PSU a long time ago (and for very cheap) before I really knew that a PSU could play such an important role in the system. When I first started having problems, I almost just went and bought a new PSU, but then I decided to seek help here.
Yeah it does. Also a cheap in quality PSU can blowout and fry most of your system/system components. Starting with CPU, MB and the rest of components.

So its a must to get great, if not one of the best, PSU out there for your investment's sake. Hehe.

Now, I do plan on OC'ing, and once I do, I'm going to ditch this one and I'm considering 2 PSU's, both of which seemed to get good reviews and recommendations:

or

OCZ makes great PSU. Mine is been great to me, and it gave me 8HRs prime, it also got great reviews http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews...eam_700W_1.html. The price is little bit on the high side but you'll get what you paid for.

I know both are probably overkill because I won't have SLI or a very demanding video card with this board, but if it is quality and lasts, it can go into my next system.
There also another good reason, which is that, the PSU won't have to run at maximum peak, which in return will lower the overall PSU temperature, its overall work, which in return will effect the lifespan of the PSU.

And also who knows where this PC world is heading. The dual-core CPUs to the Dual-Cards to the SATA world. We are all enjoying the ride of PC technology. Sooner or later we're forced to upgrade. Another good reason to why it's cool to get bigger better PSUs.

Good Luck.

or

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for pointing me in the right directions and helping me learn to tweak my board.

Get the OCZ GXS 600W/700W, the older PowerStream 600W splits the +12V rails in such a way, as not be able to power highend SLI or Crossfire.

Check the PSU Guide before you buy.

Dave