Post your favorite OS

DuTcH

ok LADIES AND GENTS I,VE GOT XP PRO, GENTOO AND KNOPPIX LIVE CD RUNNING ON MY SYSTEM AT THE MO, ALL SERVING A PURPOSE (HE SAYS????) BUT BEING THE TECHNO TURNIP I AM,

I WOULD LIKE YOU ALL TO GIVE US A SHOUT OUT FOR YOUR OPERATING SYSTEMS YOU LOVE :) AND ONES YOU HATE :mad:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the poll?

... otherwise I've come to appreciate BLAG a lot.

Hate? There are always pros and cons. I assume programmers, whether they work for MS or Linux or BSD or use some other platform, are trying their best, which will make them look good and hopefully also make consumers happy.

What I don't like could basically be summed up as some attitudes, among developers as well as among users, and business manners.

Did anyone read PC magazines editorial about how software that is no longer supported (ie windows 95, old wordprcessors, etc) should be given up for free source? So developers don't have to reinvent the wheel every day.

Ohh and as for the poll...XP Pro, Home, x64, 2000 Pro, and Xandros on my home server

Thread title has been changed

I really like x64 Edition. I've recently added the Vista Transformation Pack to my XP32 and am enjoying the Vista Beta 2.

I shudder when someone tells me they are using ME :)

Same as above. x64 has been great and I'll be sticking with it, for a long time to come. I'm also playing with Vista 5384, and it is killer. I doubt I'll go with it immediately when it's released though, as I read the Ultimate Edition will be around $450. I know they have different levels, but if you have to give up too many of the goodies, what's the point?

I'm happy with my XP professional on both my laptop and desktop. I've got Win2k on my Dell at home, which, isn't bad for just doing word processing/email. I've tried X64 with the desktop, but it's been a fight for drivers/programs to work to their fullest. I will soon be replacing it with SuSE 10.1

I happen to like XP professional the best out of everything I constantly use, just for stability and compatibilities.

Guest thespin

XP Pro and XP Pro x64 have both been super stable and nice to me ... but they are workstations not servers ...

...depends on what you want to do.

Most innovative visually: MAC OS-X

Special-purpose 24/7 server, no workstation apps: Linux / Samba etc

General / Multi-Purpose Server: Windows 2000 Server Advanced, Server 2003

Workstation general: XP Pro with Service Packs, no bells or whistles OR GAMES.

Multimedia General (cheap): XP Pro MC Edition

Multimedia General (Pricey): New MAC

Games: XP Pro

Efficiency in Business apps: DOS 5.x, 6.x... you could do more with less CPU and memory than even now... so what if it was character-based?

WORST:

General purpose O/S and Media O/S: Windows ME (didn't do anything well)

Server: Windows NT Pre-4.0 SP4

Web Server: Anything from Microsoft... they get beat on page availability by a re-tasked mainframe from 1972...

24/7 file server for more than 15 users: Windows Server line (unless you use load-balancing and replication)

God of Operating Systems:

Best: Linus Torvalds

Worst: William Gates