1. 1.

• Diskeeper
    • O & O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Norton Speed disk
    • "the one that comes with windows"
    • other (please post below)

I've had 2x80GB Maxtor Sata Raid 0,running on the LP b for about 3yrs now and I defrag the hail outta 'em.

Just my experience,maybe they'll go down tomorrow,who knows.

Wonder what "shorten its life considerably" actually means.

Just what is the normal lifespan anyway

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what "shorten its life considerably" actually means.

We'd tell you, but then we'd have to kill you deal :)

Just what is the normal lifespan anyway

Think it would have to be at least 3 years at 50% usage on most HDDs as that is the standard HDD warranty.

I started trying to divide the hours into days and then years but got messed up when I carried the 1.

I've been searching the net trying to find Leo Laporte's actual opinion on this.

Best I cound find on it is some chat on PCPitStop forums after a show he did in 2002-2003

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=28626

Some info from Diskkeeper on why fragmentation occurs

http://files.diskeeper.com/pdf/HowFileFrag...onWindowsXP.pdf

While it makes sense that prolonged intensive HDD activity could shorten the life of an HDD it would also seem that the corollary is true. If a fragmented HDD is constantly thrashing all over the place attempting to locate files that certainly isn't going to prolog life or help PC speed.

I figure if I keep my drives defragmented, it only takes a very brief period to defragment them using diskeeper. It may be intense activity but only briefly.

Guest AAdjuster

I use an old one, I use Voptxp. I've used all the defrag programs and Voptxp is what I keep going back to.

Good stuff.

BTW you guys converted me to Diskeeper, I installed it on 4 of my machines and 2 customers, so far. It has pretty much the same features as O & O Defrag, but is faster and easier to set up.

Thanks for the info,

-Stevo

I voted Windows Defrag. Not because I like it or think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but because Im lazy to buy any software I think I can get either freeware or from a friend heh.

If I were to purchase any new software tho, I think it would be Defrag Software, as I understand Windows Defrag is the worst thing going and yet........free.:confused: I think having a streamlined, organized file system is very import to performance.

Funny results. Considering that Diskeeper and "the one that comes with windows" are essentially the same. Same algorithms, same crappy results and performance. :rolleyes:

O&O Defrag is definitely the way to go if you think you need to defrag your drive(s).

Funny results. Considering that Diskeeper and "the one that comes with windows" are essentially the same. Same algorithms, same crappy results and performance. :rolleyes:

O&O Defrag is definitely the way to go if you think you need to defrag your drive(s).

O&O sure does kick a fair bit of butt.

Guest Neezer

I just use the one that comes with windows. I wasn't even aware that there was other software available for that. I will definately try some of these other suggestions now that I know they are available.