NF3-250 vs NF4-6100

9 members have voted

1. 1.

• NF3-250
    • NF4-61xx w/ video
    • NF4 - no video

I need advice guys/gals.

I have a Sempron 2800+ E6 running 2704 on my NF3-250. Compare with my Opteron 145 @ 3.0, it runs sort of sluggish. My sempron will almost pause from time to time especially when giving it a task while it is doing something. Like opening IE or exporer while it is transeferring files.

My question is should I upgrade from NF3-250 to NF4-6100. I figure I can use the free video and get a real one when prices drop. I was told the real problem is that the NF3 does not support Dual Channel DDR and only RAM FSB at 166 if using 2 DIMMs. Will this make a big difference going to NF4-6100 with Dual Channel and RAM at 200?

Update on Dual Channel: 754 does not support it at all. Limitation at CPU not chipset even though 6100 has Dual Channel support.

Update 2: Just did some further testing and found out that my RAM will do 200 FSB fine. The NF3-250 120(3/5) divider does not work and my RAM is not strong enough to go 2/3 since I am running things at 338.

Supposely the Sempron at 2.7 should be pretty good. There are many site that says it will outperform A64 4000+. So what is causing the pauses?

It is 100% prime stable. 100% MemTest stable. HTT = 3 x 338 and system = 8 x 338. RAM at 169

could the slight pause slimply be from the mult-tasking it's doing. I mean I know opening IE doesn't take much but while transfering files it could become a bit laborsome for single core proc, atleast for a second. Just a thought.

I don't think your info on the NF3 250gb is completely correct though; true that Dual Channel is not possible but never heard of ram only running @ 166fsb with two sticks. I have two sticks and have never run into that or heard of it before. I could be wrong though, maybe someone else knows more.

my 2 cents.

I had tried manually setting it to 200 (3/5) and no go. Will only be stable at 166 actually 169 (1/2) eventhough the same RAM ran 212 on NF2 and is running 200 on NF4 (have not tried higher)

Update on Dual Channel: 754 does not support it at all. Limitation at CPU not chipset even though 6100 has Dual Channel support.

And yes, issue due to multitasking... no problem with my Opteron doing even more tasking. Has nothing to do with multi-core. This is a comparison with Single Core anyhow.

Since benchmarks is showing the Sempron at 2.7 to be very strong especially at FSB 338 and HTT: 1014 and L2 is 256 which should not be too bad. This should not run into multi tasking issues with just transferring files and IE. I would understand compiling and IE or gaming and converting MP3... but not something simple like IE and file transfer.

Even with RAM at 169, there is 2 x 512 so plenty of it to use. only hitting about 400MB total while tasking.

your not goin to get the same overclock on the NF4-6100 as you would on the NF3-250....so dont get your hopes up to high...you may reach 2700mhz but I doubt anywhere close to 300fsb....but see for yourself...

yeah you should be running your ram at DDR400 speeds at least. I have the same problem. When my email program is downloading email in the background. Witch miss Anita get 1000+ a day I might as well pick my nose wile i wait because I'm sure not going to be doing anything till its done

Or are you talking the 166 divider?

2.5-3-6-3-12-16 @ 200 (will be different depending on the IC) I even tried looser timing... no go with 3/5(333 or 338) but will work with 2/3(300) (memtest minimum of 3 loops to be sure)

thank you for your concern but this is not a timing issue. I am not new to this. It works with 2/3 divider but will put my CPU at 2.4 (8x300)... I think 300 MHz will be more benefitial then 31 MHz gain on RAM

I had confirmed it with DFI and seems NF3 is no longer supported and chances are there will be no future bios unless something major.

Does anyone know if Biostar, ABIT or any other NF3/NF4 754 support 3/5 divider. Please see if you can test to confirm it works.