Apple Cinema Displays

I am just now getting around to building my rig, a task I have put off for a few years. I have to start from scratch because for a long time I have been tied down with Notebook computers by necessity for work. I have all the components for the computer itself locked down.

For the Nuts and Bolts. I am going with a Lanparty UT Nf4 Ultra D, a Saphire Radeon 1900Xt, Athalon 64 X2 4200.

I have read and heard some conflicting messages about using an Apple Cinema display. I was hoping some of you would have some insight. I want to use the 20 inch model. So long story short...will it work with what I have?

If not, I would like some recommendations, I want to go widescreen above all else.

Can't comment on the apple but I can highly recommend a Dell widescreen...

I don't know of anyone who has had a negative thing to say about them (including myself :) )

I'm sure the 20" is just as good...

I have the Dell 2005FPW (20.1" widescreen) and its wicked. It does suffer from a bit of back-light bleeding, but a colleague of mine has an apple 20" and it suffers the exact same problems. Long and the short of it:

Apple and Dell, as well as Philips, HP, Viewsonic(i think) all use the same LG-Philips panel, just different backlights.

Dell's is stronger than the apple, more cmd^2. Also the Dell has the options for S-Video and RCA inputs (not to mention vga, dvi, usb hub and optional speaker-bar(probably useless)).

I can recommend the dell. Was nice and cheap when I got it a year ago, around the $700US.

Guest GripS

Dell uses samsung for it's flat panels and it's no suprise as they are known to be top quality.

• 3 months later...

Apple Widescreens have very great pixel depth, but very poor response time. Which makes them great for graphics work, but not so much for gaming.

I got an ACER AL2051W for about half the cost of the (cr)apple display. The Acer outperforms the apple in almost every respect.

All apple products are overpriced, I would sincerely think twice about buying one, if I were you.

I was going to buy an Ipod, I stood in the store staring at the box for an hour just thinking about how stupid Apples are and if I bought the Ipod I would be supporting the company.

I saved my 200$.

FYI... Some Apple displays do not work with the 8800 series. Don't know why but they just don't. So if you ever plan to upgrade, make sure to verify your monitor works with the card. BTW.... why Apple? There are plenty cheaper and better brands for the same price.

The apple displays and the dell ones use the exact same lcd panel. The only difference is the backlight.

if you're getting a 20" monitor, i suggest this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824002320

much better display. 470cd/m2 vs 300cd/m2 1600:1 contrast ratio vs 700:1 6ms response time vs 14ms, and its got a tv tuner.

I don't suggest you buy a s939 system. You'd get better performance for a similar price if you went with a core 2 duo system, they're just faster, plain and simple.