Good Digital Camera

Sly_C

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want zoom capabilities make sure you get one with optical zoom and not just digital zoom.

:withstupid::withstupid: DEFINITELY what he said!

As far as vivitar goes. I haven't a clue. Make sure you have some pics developed to see how good the quality is (unless you think u'll only be using it for digital pics and won't be printing any out), because even though a camera says it's 3 megapixels, the quality can still be different from camera to camera, which is why certain brands are better than others, not just for added features. (That is why i am against HP, because i've heard that the quality of the pics are actually worse than it's supposed megapixel level compared to other brands).

Here's my take on the whole thing...

I know you're looking for a digital cmaera, but I would tell you to look into what you plan to do with it!

Have you ever thought of getting a regular SLR, which is excellent for any type of photo shoot. Afterall you can have the film developed onto a CD and voila you'll get your pictures digitally! If you ever want to frame or enlarge your pictures you still have the negatives from which the original picture can be enlarged or reprinted.The only drawback is that you'll have to wait a couple of days/weeks before you use up the whole roll and get teh prints developed.

As for digital camera, better stick with the Nikon, Minolta, Canon brands. They use to say that 2Mpix is plenty if you plan to use your pictures for web only. If you want to print your pictures and enlarge them also, then the greater # of pixels the better they will be!

Have you ever thought of using photoshop to make your current images clearer and add better definition? That might save you from getting a new camera.

That was my 2 cents.

Edited by H2O

h20, what's great about digital cameras is you can take hundreds of pictures without worrying if it's crap or not. If you have the time to "setup" a picture, then if it doesn't come out right, you can delete it on the spot and try again. Over the summer i took 160+ photos at a music concert. Trust me, if i didn't have a dig cam, i'd never take close to that amount. But now, if i wanted to print a few out, i can take the ones that look best and just produce those.

Also, photoshopping can help a little. but there's no way any amount of photoshopping can make a 0.2 mp pic look like a 2.0 mp pic.

And if it's only for web use, then 2mp isn't even needed. All you'd need is 1mp. But like i said, i'd go for 3mp. That way you know that you'll pretty much have a camera for life. There will never be a need to get a 4 or 5 or 6 megapixel camera, unless for some reason you plan on printing out 24x36 posters :)

like i said i think i am going to let my friend buy the camera and if he likes it i am going to get it cause i mean if it really is 3.3MP and only $130 thats great the vivitar has a 2x optical zoom and 4 x digital zoom. why is only having digital zoom bad?

i'm sure the artical says this but digital zoom is just like taking an image and enlarging it past the orginal size. you loose quality because you are using the same number of pixles to cover more area. so the some "guessing" is involved on how to fill in.

u guys are suggesting these awesome cameras that i wish i could afford i may end up getting a good 2 megapixel instead of this three don't get me wrong everything u guys has helped me though thanx

well the only reason i was going to get the kodak is i found it cheap on ebay but i lost the auction i really only wanna spend like $160 and i don't think i am going to get much for that price or not what i want anyway. how about this one?: clicky

Edited by Sly_C

well the only reason i was going to get the kodak is i found it cheap on ebay but i lost the auction i really only wanna spend like $160 and i don't think i am going to get much for that price or not what i want anyway. how about this one?: clicky

I used to own a gateway computer, and even though that was 8 years ago, for some reason they're still inclined to send me crap in the mail. I saw that camera and others in it and all i could think was "too good to be true". The price is well below what a camera with those specs should go for. I don't know anyone with a gateway camera, so haven't a clue how they are. If you have a Gateway Country store near you, maybe you can go down there and look at one in person. That's what i suggest you do for any camera before purchasing online. When i bought my nikon coolpix 3100 back in june, i went to bestbuy to use it first before buying it online.

I suggest trying newegg. Here's the nikon page on newegg.

You'll notice the price for the coolpix 2100 is just $173. Price of 3100 is just $257. They're retail, so you get the complete manufacturer's warranty. I got my 3100 from them back in june for $307 (i believe).

2 megapixel should be fine, so if you're low on cash, then just go for a 2. As far as optical zoom goes, 2x isn't that much. the standard is usually 3x. If you look at the specs of a camera, it should give you the millimeter equivalent of the optical zoom (you may have to go to the manufacturer's site for that info). For example, a canon powershot a70 with 3x optical, goes from 35-105mm, while a kodak dx4330 with 3x zoom, goes from 38-114mm, while the nikon 3100 with 3x zoom, goes from 38-115mm.

If you have a regular camera, it should have a mm zoom listed, so you can compare to that if you want. All this may be a little too complicated, but just wanted to throw that out there if you were thinking of going with a 2xoptical

Edited by ClayMeow