Question on LDT Multiplier

I am running at 260 x 10. What I need to know if its a good idea to set the LDT multiplier to 260 X 3 = 780 or 260 X 4 = 1040? It seems stable at both settings.

There's no advantage or disadvantage to running it either way. 10 over or even 400 over is not going to hurt anything so long as it is stable. My system will not boot at 3X over 290 but 4X will run well past 300.

There's no advantage or disadvantage to running it either way. 10 over or even 400 over is not going to hurt anything so long as it is stable. My system will not boot at 3X over 290 but 4X will run well past 300.

i thought tryin to push the extra bandwidth was bad tho? under was fine coz you never use it all anyway but over was bad? cant remember why but someone explained somewhere on here.

if your system is over (like you say CPDMF) but you dont do any heavy processor computing you get away with it. prolly talkin out my butt.

hopefully someone can explain it.

I think someone explained it to me one time relating to getting water pumped into your home... It went something like this:

Say you purchase water from the city, and it gets pumped into your home at 50 liters per second. Then say you go out and purchase a pump that pumps water at 100 liters per second. You attach this pump to your line, and fire it up, but you won't get the full performance out of the new pump that you just attached. You're still going to get 50 liters per second no matter how powerful that pump is that you attached to your water line.

Whoever made that comparison that I read, I'm pretty sure they said something about how doing the above procedure could actually damage the said 100liter/s pump, and how that relates to how it could damage your machine.

I forget exactly how this was explained in it's entirity, but it went something like that. If anyone knows where that's posted and could link it I'd actually like to read it again :nod:

I play BF2 for hours on end and it's 14 hour prime stable at 10 X 297 with LDT/FSB Multi at 4X.

Absolutely nothing wrong with running the HTT out of spec. Don't be so dead set on what is right and wrong when trying to overclock. Worst case scenario, you are reloading Windows and I use a seperate hard drive with a 10 gig partition that has all my stability and bench progs on it for testing. Made a back up of the partition with ghost, so if I carsh my install I'm back up and going at it again in 20 minutes.

Why having the memory run over 200Mhz will not increase performance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you understand what was said above then this should make sense, think of it like this,

# Your water supplier sends you water at a rate of 50 litres per second.

# When the water gets to your house you have an accelerator on your tap that makes it travel at 100 litres per second into a bottle.

If you open your tap and count to 1, how much water will you have in your bottle?

The answer is 50 litres not 100.

In that example,

Water supplier = CPU

Tap with accelerator = Memory

Count to 1 = Benchmark

And if the tap accelerator was only 25 litres per second it would be a decrease in flow rate, chokes system performance. Now you should see why operating the memory above the CPU FSB frequency has very little effect.

It was from Sharp's guide to NF4 Memory Advice http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24719

Although it has more to do with overclocking the RAM without increasing the HTT speeds - renders the o/c useless by creating a bottleneck.

Not sure if that can damage anything over time, but its better to have the HTT faster than the RAM for sure.

It's not an exact science as to how far each component can be pushed. No physical harm can come from pushing the HT bus, and it may allow for some for changes in the DRAM Config page that will gain you a fairly decent amount of performance.