Help needed! New Expert board.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i aint google, sry :) if you want, search this forum and other places...

in general:

temp pretty much means nothing when it comes to CPUs life...

Voltages do.

up to ~1.6 you are only OCing with ~0.2 volts more or less, which is still ok, once you go more, your just putting too much voltages... that is plainly killing your cpu.

period.

Hi Guys,

I’m just upgrading my rig to SLI-Expert board and a dual core CPU. What do I need to know in terms of patches or fixes for the Board or the dual core? Where is the PWMIC located on the Expert board? What is the most used method to flash the BIOS besides Tmod’s CD? Thank you for your help!!! :rolleyes:

HARDWARE:

1. use latest bios for expert (via floppy flash) from dfi website

2. psu (if you have cold boot problem) use (search for cold boot problem) the .22 uf cap fix on case button. (YOU need some level of eltronic knowledge- ?)

3. you do need a psu with a 24pin atx connector, you dont need a 8pin p4 connector - a 4pin p4 connector will work fine.

3. the extra floppy power connector above the 1st sli pci-express 16 socket is only used for extra power for sli setups (2 x video cards) not needed or recommended for 1 video card setup.

4. high amps (34+) psu on 1 rail recommended for single high end video cards etc...

a power psu with active or passive power correction is highly recommended for heavy- clocking etc.. 1900xtx etc

5. PWMIC are the silver heatsinks (x3) located near the 24 pin atx connectors they can get hot (they regulate power)

6. use the orange slots for ram is recommended.

7. raid (nvidia recommended) but theirs no (or little) diference in the sil 3114 and the nvidia raid chip in speed with acpect to raid 0 with 2 hdd.

they get the same score (when tested with same stripe etc..) at 3 drives the nvidia come out a little faster.

8. onboard nvidia (nonraid) smart works (example via mbm5) in raid their is no smart + temp hdd monitoring, sil3114 their is no hdd temp monitoring at all.

9. (page 67 manul) if you get a yellow light(s) - the fault light when booting (and it does when is not working)

ie when it says 1 light is hangs on vga via manul - it means is passed the vga but hangen on bootup.

ie if a light (system hangs) say 2 lights is not stoped on ram is fail on vga, it confusing i know, but the lights means whatever is ;it is passed, nd fail the next thing on the list..

4 lights = no cpu detected

3 lights= no ram detected (problem etc)

2 lights = hanges on vga card

1 light = hange on bootup (ide/sata bootup) some times a lose cable , or not fully plug in (ie ide)

0 lights = fully bootup up loading o/s

SOFTWARE:

1. raid or not - install latest nvidia drivers, then update the ide nvidia driver (for ide) to ms pci ide driver. (due to ide high burst random lockup etc...known problem even thith dvd-cd roms/burners?)

ie. go in and upgrade nvidia ide driver (not sata) to compatibly ms pci ide driver

2. you dont have to instal the amd cpu drivers,,, but you do have to use the ms hotfix for dual cpus... (improves but does not fixfully.)

3. some games + some statup applicatiobs (cpu clock etc..) dont like be run on 2 cpu (50% on both chip)

use a program like WINDOWS LAUNCHER XP (FROM MAJOR GEEK) which allows you to run some programs (bf2 + teamspeak+ uillities) using 1 cpu core,

ie i load my cpu clock utility on core 1 on windows start with mbm5 +lcdc+anydvd etc)

then form the program menu i lunch teamspeak to run on core 1 + bf2 or core 0.

system is fully stably even after 8+ hours of game play.

3. dont use the lan marvel drivers from web site - go to marvel web site and get this years latest drivers.

4. dont use or install active armor, ntune etc.. only ite smart guardian is ok.

5. raid drivers ( sil 3114) use the raid 5 drivers (not the raid drivers) for sil 3114 let windows do a search point path to raid 5.

even if you dont use raid 5 - say use raid 0 it still used raid 5 drivers...

According to Happy_Games it is required.

PLUG IN ALL OF THE POWER CONNECTORS

he,s wrong (for expert board) read manual , it says it their, plus after testing (with a 1900xtx) +4800 + overclock heavy system etc..

you dont need it for single video card setup.

even if you overclock your cpu + video card to stupid amounts.

iv tried - its stable 100%

like the p4 8pin connected - prefered but not needed p4 4pin connector is ok.

you are right that it is stable. and it is still recommanded. even for the expert board. i suggest you dont say happy is wrong, he gets angry :}

sorry happy - dont mean to sit on you. your just trying to help.

but when i got the board (upgrade for me) i was told a lot of bad advice from the sales man- and some called experts..

like you must have a 8pin p4 connector on your psu. not true.. id just baught a $300+ psu 1 month ago (sintek 600w)702p

+ i hade the cold boot bug (i first thaough is was the mb) because my psu works on my old agp board + 4800 chip.

1 cent part (.22uf cap fix it) (talked to my engenner/doctor spec friend. very smart man..

did some testing with diff values + res on spec for expert pse requirements and actual psu output via mmeter ) vs atx spec 1.3+

i found out neither the psu or the mb was faulty. just incompatible due to different standards, clamp draw on the 12+5v line was higher on this psu and the motherboard thaught the psu was out of spec (mb wants 2.0 atx) my psu 1.3+) with 34amps on 1 12v line, the motherboard shut down the board, the .22uf cap (bounce) helps filter/absorbe some of the draw at startup (gives a 6 second min before it startup (from shutdown)).

-anyhow

when i used the floppy connector (1 in 12 bootup caused a hang in detecting the vga card)

when i removed this connection problem went away.

Thank you guys for your advice but I’m not looking for booting up that thing or something neither I need a suggestion on how to plug in the power connectors to the board! In case you didn’t read the posts before I’m running stable @ 3000G now! I only wanted to know what the max voltage on the FX60 would be! Thanks anyway! :cool:

he,s wrong (for expert board) read manual , it says it their

I have read the manual. I have one of my Expert and my Venus manuals right here.

For Single PCI Express x16 Graphics Card

ATX 12V 2.0 compliant - with a 24-pin ATX main power connector,

dual 12V rails (12V1 and 12V2). Your power supply unit may come

with an 8-pin EPS server style 12V power connector or 4-pin +12V

power connector. The +12V power connector enables the delivery of

more +12VDC current to the processor’s Voltage Regulator Module

(VRM). If available, it is preferable to use the 8-pin power; otherwise

connect the 4-pin power connector to CN9 as shown below.

The FDD-type power connector is an additional power connector. If

you are using two graphics cards, we recommend that you plug a

power cable from your power supply unit onto the 5V/12V power

connector at location J1. This will provide more stability to the entire

system. The system board will still work even if the additional power

connector is not connected.

Although the manual states the 8 pin connector is not needed is does state that it is preferred. The manual also states the floppy connector is recommended. It does not say it is not recommended anywhere.

These specs from DFI are also based on the following system. It does not take into account multiple hard drives, accessories or overclocking.

This section contains information about the minimum power required

which were calculated based on the following basic peripheral

configuration.

• One hard drive

• Two optical drives

• One floppy drive

• One sound card

• Two sticks of memory

@ Hit, I tend to stick around 1.56-1.58 for every day use. When going for broke 1.65 to 1.68 is all I go. Basically if the amount of voltage I am running 24/7 bothers me I back it down until I am comfortable with it and don't give it a second thought.

I use rig mainly for gaming and the framerates between 2.6 and 3.0 are minimal.

I have read the manual. I have one of my Expert and my Venus manuals right here.

Although the manual states the 8 pin connector is not needed is does state that it is preferred. The manual also states the floppy connector is recommended. It does not say it is not recommended anywhere.

These specs from DFI are also based on the following system. It does not take into account multiple hard drives, accessories or overclocking.

[if

you are using two [2] graphics cards, we recommend that you plug a

power cable from your power supply unit onto the 5V/12V power

connector at location J1.]

yes floppy connector is recommended for 2 video cards (ie not 1)

@CPDMF!!! Finally a man with a word! As always! That’s the answer I was looking for! Looks like nobody else is reading the entire thread anymore and giving me hints on how to plug in the power connectors! He He! Thanks buddy! :P