Dual Channel with 3 or 4 sticks?

For some reason, I remember someone saying that you can only have Dual Channel with two memory sticks? Is this true?

The board won't even fire up with 3 sticks. 1, 2, or 4, is your only option. Depending on the memory controller and whether or not the 2 different kits of memory will play nice together, it can get a little frustrating running 4 sticks. You will be limited to 2T and may have to loosen timings as well.

The DFI SLI-DR/Ultra-D won't do three sticks because the two CPU slots closer to the CPU do not do any single-channel memory at all, neither 1 nor 3 sticks.

Other boards do that, but of course it's no big deal.

There are boards that do dual-channel with one module by splitting that module into two parts. I don't remember whether those were socket 939 and/or whether they do 3-module dual-channel.

> 4 sticks - dual channel 2T, possibly 1T if you have an extremely good memory controller

Does that mean if I have 4 sticks of the same memory from the same vendor-- it will run at Duel Channel at 1T on my DFI Ultra-D?

How much slower is 2T?

Actually, it might actually be "How much faster is 2T?" If your computer cannot respond to the memory in time for 1T, then it has to wait around for the next cycle. If it knows that it has to way (i.e. preset to 2T), then it can be more efficient overall.

I have my rate set to "auto" with 2 sticks of 1GB, and it's coming up at 1T. This kind of surprised me, as I expected that much memory in two sticks to require 2T. Therefore, I'm going to test the speed as-is, and then force it to 2T and test again. I wouldn't be surprised if I discovered that it's faster at 2T.

mikeboxsoft.png