New DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-MR2/G

Does anyone else think it is ironic that the latest DFI website announces the release of a Conroe mottherboard, for which chips will not be available for a few more weeks, but has no mention of AM2 motherboards (not even in the socket pull down menu) for which chips have been available for over 6 weeks? :confused:

The DFI marketing folks needs to get their head out of their *&^&**#@@.

Probably because they don't want to announce AM2 and then have everyone go to Gigabyte or ASUS because DFI hasn't got the AM2 out yet.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chipset cooler on the new 590-SLi board looks almost identical to a few chipset coolers I've got stuck away in my parts bin. Courtesy MSI, model year 2004 replacement parts for MSI K8N Neo Platinum. If they are similar it will be a good replacement for the infamous magnetic levitation fan coolers. Simple, effective, reliable and quite.

Does anyone else think it is ironic that the latest DFI website announces the release of a Conroe mottherboard, for which chips will not be available for a few more weeks, but has no mention of AM2 motherboards (not even in the socket pull down menu) for which chips have been available for over 6 weeks? :confused:

The DFI marketing folks needs to get their head out of their *&^&**#@@.

I bet you most of their efforts are going into that Conroe board. Just curious would that Conroe/ Core 2 board work with the cheaper non-Core 2 intels also?

I bet you most of their efforts are going into that Conroe board. Just curious would that Conroe/ Core 2 board work with the cheaper non-Core 2 intels also?

hte 975X/G Infinity I have works with Conroe, Pentium D, and original Pentium4 LGA775 cpu's

hte 975X/G Infinity I have works with Conroe, Pentium D, and original Pentium4 LGA775 cpu's

So when does that intel mobo come out?

Will it work with the OCZ memory in my sig? If so, I may look into that as an option rather than AM2. For now I just can't bring myself to buy 939 stuff (although I realize it is more "proven" and "tested")

Will it work with the OCZ memory in my sig? If so, I may look into that as an option rather than AM2. For now I just can't bring myself to buy 939 stuff (although I realize it is more "proven" and "tested")

Conroe and AM2 are both DDR2, so yes.

the 975X/G is already out

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 939 motherboard for the fact that it IS tried and true and stable and mature and there's no difference in performance with the AM2 cpu at all other than memory bandwidth...but that means zero when it comes to everything since the AMD cpu's have the memory controller right on the cpu.

AM2/Conroe...unless you have money and love to live on the bleeding edge and are willing to accept the bugs and problems that the new platforms will have for about 6-12 months...then you should serious look into a 939 setup or current Pentium D dual-core.

Seems I was thrown under the bus by my contacts at nVidia. The technical specifications that I was given made no reference to the ability of the nF4 chispet to allow the use of DDR2 RAM. The specs did specifically refer to the AM2, 500 series chispet and DDR2 RAM.

Looking back over it I see that there is no statement saying that the nF4 chipset can't support DDR2 RAM. In fact there is no reference to the nF4 chispet anywhere in the documentation.

There are no nF4 chipsets listed with the AM2 processors on the nVidia site.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_family.html

Upon further reflection, it makes some sense because the memory controller is on the CPU.

Since there are boards with the AM2 and nF4 chipset I must retract my earlier statement.