New DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-MR2/G

as we've found out with previous chipsets, the chipset itself has almost zero to do with what memory it will accept

since the AMD cpu has integrated memory controller, the cpu is the determining factor as to what memory the motherboard's chipset will accept

this is why we were able to make an NForce3 chipset that was built for socket 754 single channel cpu's to easily run a 939 dual-channel cpu and allow for dual-channel memory configs.

people often forget that the chipset itself has zero to do with what kind of memory an Athlon64/Opteron can use because the memory controller is integrated on the cpu itself, not the motherboard.

However, we were easily able to make an 875 Intel chipset run the new LGA775 cpu's which were slated to be only DDR2 compatible (the 875 Chipset, like all Intel chipsets and like all previous AthlonXP chipsets DO determine what type of memory can be used) with DDR1...

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice...

Just glanced at it, I could'nt load the whole page(dialup).

The memory timings, even though I couold'nt see whole section of that, it was impressive.

Not sure if some of those are the correct name or not, then again maybe on my end the wrong names...

They looked simuler anyways.

Things I noticed.

ACPI something or other table, 64bit only.

What is that all about?

Would be annoying to have to set it per os.

Should be fine in dos, so why not another os?

I mean, it's acpi tables, I assume they made them so there not backwards compatible with older acpi ver's or something?

Whatever acpi tables do..., lol, whatever though.

(irq's and power management I guess)

The spdif's.

Nice to see optical finally onboard.

But only 2 now, optical and coax, I assume these are outputs.

I would hope there inputs via a header...

Not a big deal though.

DVD's are best played back on the pc anyways, but sat on the other hand...

The rest of the small things I see are just the naming in the bios.

Another one would be the rams speed, is it ram speed locked or a dividor...

Plus I thaught there was ddr2-1000 and above...

Ohwell.

Oh, Award Workstation BIOS?

Hmm, more stable src bais or something?

I dn I have no clue...

The chinese lable on the mobo tops that sucker off, that's cool :D.

Impresive anyways.

I heard of talk that there's gonna be dual socket desktop boards for am2.

That would be sweet, dual quad cores with rht :D.

I dn what dfi is doing though, the future finally is looking up :).

RHT is really the only reason I care about the newer platforms right now.

The bandwith of the older nf4's with ddr1 was ok I think, maybe it could be better but still.

The cpu speed though, 3ghz, I've never experienced, but I do know it's not that much.

I'm sure it's a big increase from 2.5ghz sure, anyways RHT totally makes this new stuff worth while I think, if it works that is.

as we've found out with previous chipsets, the chipset itself has almost zero to do with what memory it will accept

since the AMD cpu has integrated memory controller, the cpu is the determining factor as to what memory the motherboard's chipset will accept

this is why we were able to make an NForce3 chipset that was built for socket 754 single channel cpu's to easily run a 939 dual-channel cpu and allow for dual-channel memory configs.

people often forget that the chipset itself has zero to do with what kind of memory an Athlon64/Opteron can use because the memory controller is integrated on the cpu itself, not the motherboard.

However, we were easily able to make an 875 Intel chipset run the new LGA775 cpu's which were slated to be only DDR2 compatible (the 875 Chipset, like all Intel chipsets and like all previous AthlonXP chipsets DO determine what type of memory can be used) with DDR1...

HG, what is your explanation why some socket 939 motherboards are more picky with RAM quality and brands??? Memory controller is equal to every motherboard, but some have less issues than others. Is this the "high performance mobo needs high performance hardware" thing?

the 975X/G is already out

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 939 motherboard for the fact that it IS tried and true and stable and mature and there's no difference in performance with the AM2 cpu at all other than memory bandwidth...but that means zero when it comes to everything since the AMD cpu's have the memory controller right on the cpu.

AM2/Conroe...unless you have money and love to live on the bleeding edge and are willing to accept the bugs and problems that the new platforms will have for about 6-12 months...then you should serious look into a 939 setup or current Pentium D dual-core.

The infinity 975 X/G board hasn't made it too retailers just yet (although I'm sure it will be for sale very shortly) so I'm check that out and maybe pair it with a lesser intel CPU.

As far as "bleeding edge" goes I'm not really interested in that but I will agree Conroe will attarct the "maximum performance/price is no object crowd". But AM2 seems like it still holds the budget performance edge considering you can run $36 retail kit AM2 Semprons (check pricegrabber.com) on those mobos. I saw some impressive overclocks with be both a 2800 and 3600 Sempron. Heck I might just get a 2800/3000 AM2 Sempron and with a decent overclock it might even last me until 65 nm AM2 arrives.

Back on topic, but I have to admit this 590 SLI chipset sounds awesome compared to old generation stuff, but when is Nvidia gonna let us mix video card cores like Crossfire can?. I mean if I had a 6600 GT and one day found out it wasn't good enough to run my games I'm not going to go buy another 6600 GT. No I'd want at least a 7600 GT but since you can't run the old and new cards together that means I'd be back to running one card again.

HG, what is your explanation why some socket 939 motherboards are more picky with RAM quality and brands??? Memory controller is equal to every motherboard, but some have less issues than others. Is this the "high performance mobo needs high performance hardware" thing?

the explanation is that DFI motherboards, particularly the LANPARTY series, are built only for overclocking

they are not built to be a vanilla board like an asus

they are built from the original design idea all the way through final production to be nothing but a rocketship headed to the far reaches of the galaxy

they aren't made to be run by little old women checking their email

they aren't made to run Bejeweled and stock speeds (however they will do these things)

its like having a NASCAR car and driving it to the store to get milk..the car wasn't made for that...it was made for driving 200mph in an oval track setting

they require special tires, special fuel, special care when it comes to tuning the engine, they require special tracks that are flat so nothing bottoms out on their car at 200mph, etc

DFI Lanparty boards are like that

smiles-smilesemotixdgif6zz.gif

Hehe, I was expecting a more techincal explaination... but what you just said is pretty much a correct one HG :)

I still remember how dificult was to run the Abit NF7-S V2.0 three years ago, how people had problems when they tried generic ram or psu's. Nobody wanted to believe how cheap hardware always gave you troubles, but as soon as you changed brands for good ones the system rocked. IMO DFI is even more sensitive now than that very good Abit motherboard from old days.

And its not NASCAR, I think its a Renault F1 with Fernando Alonso driving it to the corner store to by milk... minus the ridiculus victory dance of course :)

well most americans have no clue what F1 is but they all know the good-ol-boy redneck "Doo-Whut?" NASCAR crap is lol

Wow, whats up with you and ExRoadie lately???? All you write is really good... I salute you :D

Yes, that every time you write something it is not only very good to read but also source of a lot of knoledge. Your review about NASCAR, imo, very correct indeed :)

I am sorry I am not as fluent in English as to let others understand what I am writting... remember I am ruled by the "me no english" clause :(