Need a 5-6" touch screen to mount on a case...

My mom was reading a recent issue of some PC magazine and it talked about a computer made specifically for the kitchen. She was all liek "I want it!" and I was all liek "It costs $1,800!". But, her birthday is coming up, and I figure with a mini-atx case with a touch screen mounted on it I could build a reasonable facsimile cheaper.

I tried searching for touch screens but I only found POS (point of sale) monitors and CRTs. Any thoughts?

Viewsonic Viewpad 1000? Not exactly what your looking for, but you can get a docking station for it and hook it up to your network. Im guessing she'll be using it mostly for recipes and a little web surfing, maybe e-mail? The specs are more than enough to handle that type of work.

Touchscreen can mean different things.

Many models simply allow adjust of color, tint, pictire, volume etc.

others will require drivers and application specific software,

many of the smaller 6-8" sizes will require some type of stylus device for navigation and be extremely difficult to use in windows.

They are generally designed for a limited number and larger sized icons for use in car navigation systems.

Whatever you decide, it will not be inexpensive.

I'd personally be hesitant to wire money to Hong Kong.

use a touch screen for pos and a mini keyboard the touch screen will need a serial cable and software get a small form pc and put in the cuboard/out of sight thats what i use for my mpc in the sitting room