Boot issue - have to turn the computer on for 10mins and restart befor

Finally. I am not the only one! I have the same problem. This is what I posted at the Sapphire Forum:

"ATI 1900XTX monitor no signal on cold boots.

I have tried about everything but can't figure it out. Monitor is a 21" CRT. PSU is a Seasonic S12 500W, MB is DFI NF4. Tried several DFI bios, latest and old or modded bios but still the same. Also tried the 6.3, 6.4, 6.5 and no fix. This is on a fresh install of Windows XP with all updates and latest directx. Bios settings at stock or slightly OC, still the same. Video card at stock speed. Runs Prime95 all night with rthdribl together with no issues. No artifacts or problems with games like Oblivion. Memtest shows no errors. CPU is an Opteron 165. Memory is Gskill 2GBHZ PC4000 . If I shut down the PC all night the monitor will say no signal when I boot it up the next morning.But everything else sound like a normal start up. Hard drive is one WD 320SATA. Only have the basic front fan and rear fan setup. Temps are excellent also. The only way I get it to work is by shutting it down and restarting and It will start fine. After that it will restart fine all day long but if I clean all electricity from the system by removing the power cord and the battery and waiting, when I go to restart I get the same problem. Tried reseating memory, video card, and changing cables but it still happens. I had a 7800GTX and it was working like a charm till I got this card. I hate to be pressing the start button twice every morning and don't want to leave PC on all night."

They replied with this:

"Heya,..

That spec sheet of the Seasonic S12 notes the 12v rails as +12V1@17A, +12V2@16A ( you can look on the sticker too that's on the side of the unit, if it's a dual railed unit, you'll always see 12v1 / 12v2 ).

Those values seem to be the MAX PEAK ratings, so in reality they could be something in the region of 12v1 = 14a-15a / 12v2 = 13a-14a ... which isn't enough on either rail to supply the upwards of 18a-20a that an X19series can suck up under load.

You'll need a unit such as the Enermax Liberty 620w for a card like yours ( x2 12v rails @ 22a each ) ... or a similar unit with a single 12v rail rated at 28a-30a.

Brands to check out :-

Enermax

TAGAN

PC Cooling

AeroCool

Xion

Zippy"

I was hoping it was the PSU and now say you got a new PSU and still the same???? What are the amps on the 12v rails on the new enermax?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if its not a PSU problem i would say its a hard drive issue. are those drives in raid? when did you last defrag? possibly your OS drive is failing.

but it really really sounds like a PSU problem. :confused: :confused:

The enermax has 18 amps on each of its two rails, maximum of 34 amps total. I'm completely sure that this psu has much more than enough to power a single X1900XTX. My friend has this psu, and it easily powered his 7800gtx sli setup. I'm leaning towards the video card being the problem, and I plan on RMAiing it soon. This could not possibly be a HDD problem, as the problem is occuring before they are even needed, and when the problem happens, windows still boots.

I'm leaning towards the video card being the problem, and I plan on RMAiing it soon. *This could not possibly be a HDD problem*, as the problem is occuring before they are even needed, and when the problem happens, windows still boots.

never say it "cant" be a problem with somethin coz then it always is lol.

the hard drive with your MBR on will be required as soon as the system completes POST. - TRUE

but if the HDD is sending a FAULT signal back to the POST then the system will not start. if after the system has warmed up, the drive then works, then the system will post as normal. if u think its a vid card issue, are you getting one or two LEDs staying on? coz you said they all went out. which would suggest it WAS getting thru POST.

its possible that the VRM on the MB is damaged and that its not allowing a steady flow of current to your board. but im no electrician.

but the symptoms you describe tell me this - the problem has gotten worse so the faulty part is degrading over time and soon may crap out altogether. then you will have to selectively swap out all your parts one at a time.

how many beeps do you get when the machine does POST and switch on? and what does the boot screen readout say about the recognised drives and RAM - have you switched on LONG BOOT in BIOS so you can get a full system diagnostic.

tell us some more info and ill fire some more ideas your way

well if its not a PSU problem i would say its a hard drive issue. are those drives in raid? when did you last defrag? possibly your OS drive is failing.

but it really really sounds like a PSU problem. :confused: :confused:

I know on mine is not the hard drive as all I have is a week old WD Sata with a fresh install of Windows. To make sure, I removed it and installed an 80 gig ide and still the same. Further more I removed the drive and left only Ram, CPU and video card and still the same. Why we have the same issue with basically the same hardware? It was working fine with my 7800GTX. All I did was swap Video Cards and install a new harddrive with new XP Pro OS. I guess I will have to leave the PC on all the time or deal with: Press start button... Wait 10 minutes...reset...PC starts as normal. Now this only happens to me if the PC is off and allowed to cool. I can shut it down and like 20 minutes later press the start button and is all normal. Only happens if overnight or if I allow the PSU to get totally drain by removing the power cord and pressing the start button. You know when sometimes if you press the power switch to start the PC after you shut it down and lets say you removed the power cord, the fans will spin for like a second and some led lights kind of come on. Well as long as those remnants of power are still on the motherboard it will start normal but wait awhile and as they leave the capacitors the PC won't start until you do the 10 min procedure.

During the time that the computer is on, all of the fans run at full speed

Are they at 100% speed when the computer is on and no display? Mine go real fast like they do on a normal startup but they slow down like they are supposed to. I know the PC starts normally because I heard the window start up sound even though I have no display. I will be purchasing one of the reccomended PSU. Probably the Enermax Liberty 600Watts. That way I can count that out if it is still happening.

With the normal startup, the fans go fast and then slow down. With the messed-up start-up, the fans go full speed and don't stop.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy a new psu until your 100% positive it's the problem.

Rember that a single XTX can require more juce than two Nvidia cards. Cold boot is often fixed with one of the better PSU's. Next time you get a PSU consider one of the A list on the recomended list. The new OCZ or FSP epsilon.

I ran into the same problem and a BIOS reset did the trick. I assume you've tried, but thought I'd throw my two cents in. Thought it was bizarre as the problem started after a simple Windows reboot, but after the reset, everything back to normal.

With the normal startup, the fans go fast and then slow down. With the messed-up start-up, the fans go full speed and don't stop.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy a new psu until your 100% positive it's the problem.

It appears that we have somewhat different problem and mine may be more PSU related. Because in my situation I get a normal start all the time, Just the monitor doesnt come on but windows is loaded all the time but I don't see it. I can have programs load up and everything. If I want to see the monitor screen come on then I have to press the reset button and then it comes on. If your fans stay fast when you have your problem then your motherboard is not completing the POST. You should take the motherboard out of the case and just have the Video card, CPU, Memory and start it using the onboard start and reset. Have it connected to the monitor. If all is good the add the hard drive.

Well something I forgot to mention. I get one long beep follow by two short ones when I cold boot the PC and when I press reset to get it restarted I get the all is ok single beep.