Unix Vs. Winblows

Propane

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unix vs "Winblows" eh?

Lets see. Why are there like 2-3 posts on this SAME SUBJECT?

Unix. Non gamers. Mostly text. Not very easy for the beginner on a computer.

Windows. For gamers. GUI. Easy for begginers on computers.

I would say most everyone was brought up on Windows operating systems. I was brought up from MSDOS (which I was like 4 so I said it like Ms. Dos LOL). About a year or 2 ago I decided to try RedHat. Spent 3 days downloading it (had to pause it durning days). I kind of liked it. Not to hard to install. But trying to install something like Gaim. I had to post about 15 threads on Linux boards to figure it out.

Like bigred said, Unix and Linux are 2 different things. I don't feel that Unix is for everyone. I don't get why people are trying to smash it down our throats. If we want to use it, we will use it. If we don't want to we won't. But by saying Winblows, obviously you did something wrong and . up the OS. Or your just to lazy to use it.

Now I have nothing against Unix/Linux but I am 100% for Microsoft.

I love all of them....especially Solaris cause it crashes all the time...I havent heard any Solaris comments....Win2k adv server totally rocks...i had it set up on a 300mhz amd ... oh how slow..but it worked....

Well I find how funney it is that Microsoft says that windows server 2003 gives you a better deal that any UNIX based OS. Well lets think about that. We will use the high end values for this comparision. Then I will make up numbers on the time per hit request. And yes so you will be happy I can make Windows have more.

Windows Server 2003 - $3,999 time to respond (average) 5 sec.

Effenciecy = time/price = .001 (aprox)

Linux - $0 time to respond 10 sec.

Effenciecy = time/price = infienity - think about it

Kevin...lets not flame now....we know its just your opinion....but its an opinion that cant be considered....I love Unix too but Windows is where its at....I love windows too....Its come a long way ....so easy to use, too....

btw .. its not as reliable as you think....I used to be a network admin for DoD and we ran Unix/Solaris servers throughout the world and I tell you what...I was a busy man fixing those POS machines.....

mATX is a standard. So is NLX, AT, Baby AT...

and better? we'll go back to how BETTER ties into INDUSTRY STANDARD.

if it was so much better why is it NOT the standard?

and history here kevin. I've dealt with what you're talking about, I've been doing it for years. I grew up in the IT field. My father was a network admin, and now he's an IT director for a major hospital int he metro detroit area. They don't use linux / unix. they don't use novell, they DO use the industry standard for thier servers. 2000 adv server! and we're not talking some piss-ant little servers here. they are mission critical servers, that are not only financially required, but also can be a matter of LIFE AND DEATH for the patients who's records are stored in them. I've been over there durring total chaos back in the old days of Adulent (former HP medical, now a division of Philips medical) brought in a linux box for a temp job. No connection to the PDC that's in evansville indiana... no connection to the 35 other BDC servers in southfield, novi, or royal oak's data centers... why not? not an idustry standard. and no connection to the domain controllers means???? no real network accesss! boy linux was showing it self off as a great system weren't they?

kevin you'll understand these things when you get out of that little bubble and out in the real world. things aren't the same the playing you do now. acting like a network admin, and being one are totally different.

and once again kevin stop confusing linux with unix. Unix is NOT free by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by bigred

Um - can you read - I said unix based being linux, unix, BSD, OSX, etc.

Also. Happy for your dad. And if you are planing on a linux server you would have the right hardware. If they were preparing for winblows then they would get that hardware. Make sense or do I have to explain further