I followed the build tutorial. I did the boot up with the motherboard out of the case. It booted fine. I even shut it down, stuck in the other stick of memory, and it once again booted fine. I did nothing in the BIOS except change the date and time.

In the build guide, it says

9. First Boot: Load optimized defaults/ save and exit.

I did not do this, and it wasn’t until after looking at Angry’s BIOS screen shots today that I noticed “F7 Optimized Defaults”. Does Load optimized defaults/ save and exit mean to click F7, then save and exit?

17. Second Boot: Set Update ESCD/will update DMI pool.

I did a Google search and found out that ESCD means Extended System Configuration Data, but what is meant by Set Update ESCD? How do I accomplish this? I don’t know if I need to know what DMI pool is?

Guest Kobalt

AFAIK, you tell it 'yes' to update ESCD. At least it was that way with my old mobo. Then on next boot, it reconfigs everything, and your good to go.

I don't know for sure what it is on the DFI board. I am still waiting for parts...

You tell What yes? Is this ESCD not in the BIOS? I can’t figure out where to look for it, and not sure I should be booting up a whole bunch of times at this point in my build just to look. Everything is in the case, wired up and ready for electricity.

For first boot, I never have the HDDs connected. I just want to check for P.O.S.T and get into BIOS to 'Load Optimized Defaults'. Then 'Save and Exit' then re-enter BIOS to check all the other Items ( includes running memtest) to be ready to either hook up my HDD and enter the operating system or the OS install CD.

This is not a complete list so check the Initial Install Thread for thorough instructions.

I've been by this a thousand times, but it remains set to (Auto ESCD) so I've actually forgotten about it.

Look in BIOS - PNP/PCI Configurations - Resources Controlled by - (Auto ESCD).

other choice is manual but don't use that, leave at Auto.

I've been by this a thousand times, but it remains set to (Auto ESCD) so I've actually forgotten about it.

Look in BIOS - PNP/PCI Configurations - Resources Controlled by - (Auto ESCD).

other choice is manual but don't use that, leave at Auto.

Thanks. Found that with your instructions. Not sure I actually saw anything update, but it’s done. I’m running memtest now.

• 2 weeks later...

ESCD updating just means that the bios at boot checks what devices your mobo/slots have installed and assigning IRQ's and DMA channels and it puts that data in a list which windows can consult.

Interesting.. I had to RMA the same RAM with my setup. It's working now and I'm going through the memtest again after trying OCZ's recommended settings for those sticks. Good luck.

Well, myself and at least one other person here that I know about has had to rma that same memory you have within the last week. How did your memtest come out?

Here is a thread I started last week with a screen shot of memtest on my good stick. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53904 It was 2.5-3-2-5. Are those the settings OCZ gave you? The other stick wouldn’t even boot the computer.

Initially, neither stick would boot my machine (hence my freaking out thread). I sent my stuff to Angry after getting frustrated and he diagnosed it immediately as RAM and OCZ RMA'd it for me.

Initial testing of the new kit went 1 stick at a time. Each stick was tested with the same BIOS settings (optimized) and DRAM was auto on everything. The result was good boot with both sticks at 2.5-3-2-5 at 1T in Dual channel mode. Each tested good for 24hrs in memtest (dunno how many passes, but lots of them on all tests and 0 errors. I then tried them together and was successful with the pair of them at the same auto settings for another 24 hrs.

Right now I'm trying the OCZ recommended settings for our kits (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K) that they had posted on the bleedinedge.com forums. They boot at 1T, 2-3-2-8. I dunno the significance of 2.5 dropping to 2 or 5 rising to 8, but it's what they had so I'm giving it a shot to see if the RAM is stable there. It at least boots and 0 errors so far at 2 hrs memtest (roughly 2 passes on 2x1024 kit), so I think I'll save this config to the reloaded thing too and maybe performance test between the two later.