How do you turn off your pc? (poll)

I thought F@H was about finding cures for diseases, or do I have that wrong? About the turning off thing, I believe that the initial rush of current and the following bounces of current caused by rebound of the contacts, is the killer of mircochips and light bulbs. Or like the guy earlier said that the heating and cooling of chips is what kills them. Anyways, there are no moving parts to wear out, so what can break but the wafer itself. Microcracks and the like. So 24/7 is best for my mind. When I do turn it off, XP don't care so neither do I, keyboard I/O button, reset button or just unplug it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...It usually does a pretty good job of shutting itself off. Whenever it wants. :sweat:

When I want to turn it off... Ctrl+Alt+Del => Shutdown... => Shut down

Ack, maybe I'll fix it so it doesn't turn off by itself. Hope the new graphics card does the trick.

I created shortcuts, all my build/installs (win.xp) get them and ppl LOVE them! I keep it next to my least used quicklaunch programs, ive hit it on accident once :rolleyes:

shutdown.exe -s -t 01 shutdowns

shutdown.exe -r -t 01 restarts

or google it

I make them into little quicklaunch icons (far right).

Green = Restart

Red = Shutdown

quicklaunch.jpg

Shutdown using normal Windows shutdown. No sense wasting electricity when not using it, plus watercooling = paranoid me. Do you people who leave your PC's on 24/7 also leave your lights, TV, etc. on 24/7 too? What's the difference?

Guest Timmay
I created shortcuts, all my build/installs (win.xp) get them and ppl LOVE them! I keep it next to my least used quicklaunch programs, ive hit it on accident once :rolleyes:

shutdown.exe -s -t 01 shutdowns

shutdown.exe -r -t 01 restarts

or google it

I'ld hate that, I would probably click them by mistake.

Shutdown using normal Windows shutdown. No sense wasting electricity when not using it, plus watercooling = paranoid me. Do you people who leave your PC's on 24/7 also leave your lights, TV, etc. on 24/7 too? What's the difference?

There are lots of very good reasons to leave your rig running including but not limited to...

Using CPU cycles to contribute to a distributed computing project like BOINC or Folding@Home. Your rig crunches numbers on complex problems then reports the results to a central database.

Serving files for a Torrent.

A MediaPC records TV for playback later so you leave it running.

File Servers provide storage for an office or home network.

Folding@Home and other distributed computing projects do have an E-Penis component since they value your contribution by rewarding points. The main point is to contribute to the science being conducted out of the kindness of your heart.

So i have a random question.....being that most of us here have built our own pc's... how do you turn it off?

B) Start > Shutdown > Turn Off > Then flick the switch in back that turns off your PSU to the pc?

I use choice B).

...do have an E-Penis component ...

“E-Penis” , Never heard that one before, sounds about right though….

I guess I’ll have to spend even more now for an extension, got to keep up with the Jones’s (or is that Johnson’s?)

On Topic: Start, then Shutdown, like most here, but I do use the CTRL + F1 power on feature in my bios.