RC-RE added with still 54c

Chipsets can handle 70*C nothing to worry about, btw when your applying the AS5, only use half of 1 grain of rice. Just a very small dot :)

It might be safe, but people reported system under those conditions to be unstable. Hard to know if its true or not, only that lower temperatures are desirable.

When applying AS5 I think the same steps to apply it to the old AthlonXP are necesary... spreading it over and forming a very thin layer I think.

That's how I applied the thermal paste, actually my temps seemed to have risen slowly over the course of the last few months, just can't be bothered to take out my mobo again, until it gets too bad.

That's how I applied the thermal paste, actually my temps seemed to have risen slowly over the course of the last few months, just can't be bothered to take out my mobo again, until it gets too bad.

Remeber it is not winter anymore... :rolleyes:

I bought one of those handy Sharper Image thermometers and I have it at my desk where my computer is. No guessing and no doubts now, if room temperature is 22.0 deg then the chipset and PWM temperatures are exactly the same as 5 months ago with the same 22.0 deg.

Actually, my workbench is inside my boiler room, which is in a finished basement apartment. The room temperature is pretty much consistent 24C-26C with the water heater running for a while, according to my digital thermometer. I upgraded from an Athlon64 to an Opteron, which puts out an extra 10C, but the chipset temperature started rising before the upgrade. I think my VC-RE migh just have to be reseated, as I've been working inside this case a lot. Good point, though. If I didn't live in a basement apartment I might have agreed with you, but it stays pretty much the same down here year round +/- 5C max.

Note

My ambient temps are ~77F in this room because of 3 overclocked machines, an electric clothes dryer, gas water heater and gas boiler, running most of the time. I keep the rest of the apartment around 70F, because I have an 8 months old son, and that's the temperature it's supposed to be on for a child his age.

i think my max temp is about54 too with vc-re, but thats when the vid card is at 70 and blowing all its hot air in the chipset, if i put vid card in second slot, wich i dont like for gaming, it drops 10 degrees, dunno if you are in the same situation also i have about 30 cfm of air coming from the front helps, and yea, it sure is quiet, i would think 54 in gaming isnt critical, while 65-70 is a concern but never made my comp crash, id say 54 is just cozy when gaming, just maybe you have room to lower it a bit more

edit: as a comparison, my idle temp is 42 with the fan running at about 5k rmp, ill come back later with temps while gaming but could be around 49-54

jadit2: I think whackattack most likely identified your root cause to the high chipset temperatures. The XFX 7800gt standard hsf blows into the case onto the chipset intake area which will prevent any decent chipset temperatures. Maybe try Ebay for a double slot 7800gtx reference hsf to correct the root cause?