Chipset fan is dying, what are my options?

whackattack

On my lanparty ultra-D, my chipset fan is dying, makes a horrible grinding sound, its not rubbing on my 7800gt, but its so dead sometimes it runs at 150rpm...

I know the vc-re is the best option, but would have to order and wait for it, and the grind right now, is unbearable, its as loud as a blender.

What are the other options that can fit without any drilling or grinding, i saw a few vantec products in the shops where i live, any models i could look for so i can fix it asap?

thanks

-W

weel, I found one vantec but it may be a bit to big.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835110103

the size- 51x59x14

and then theres this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835110102

51x59x14

another product, the same as the vc-re just marketed as another name,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835192006

remember theres no garuntee any of these will work

Thanks, if I do have to order, I had planned to ordered it from jab-tech, but looking for other options so i can go through my local stores and buy one tomorrow, cuz with the easter weekend shipping cross country could take until next friday. If you know any models that fit without mod, for example i saw a few Vantec vid card fans on the shelves, but not sure if any would fit without modding, if any.

thanks,

-W

Just a thought....

I use a teflon based lubricant on all my screaming and dying fans, it's called RemOil and you can usually find it at WalMart in the sporting goods section where the firearm cleaning and lube solutions are found. Pretty good at reviving a fan with one foot in the grave, and should give you plenty of time to find a replacement.

For any of you other folks who might reside here in southeast TX, you can find RemOil at Academy as well.

the only chipset cooler availible to me is 24mm high, is this too high ?

see attached pic,

CHIPSET COOLER

AK-210 Cool Blue chipset cooler. Keep your chipset cool in style. The lo-noise fan has 3 Hi-bright blue LED's and sits on a blue heatsink. The cooler is easily installed using the thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape.

Lo-noise Chipset cooler

3 Hi-bright blue LED fan on Blue heatsink

Lo-profile, only 24mm high

Thermal conductive adhesive transfer tap (DG765) pre-applied

Tool free and easy installation

Application Chipset cooler

Heatsink dimension 38 x 38 x 13mm

Fan dimension 40 x 40 x 10.8mm

Heatsink material Anodizing for aluminum alloy

Fan Speed 5000 R.P.M

Fan airflow 5.20 CFM

Fan air pressure 2.23mm H20

Fan life expectancy 30000/hrs

Bearing type Sleeve bearing

Voltage rating 12V

Noise level 20.03 dB(A)

Product code AK-210

3-pin with speed senor wire

It would probably be too big if you have your card in the first slot. I ordered my evercool from jab and it only took a couple days. I would do what others said and remove the old fan and rig up something temporary and order the evercool.