BIOS Update for X-Fi compatibility?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what problems would i be having? i have x-fi fatality (although i think i might have one of the later ones as mine comes with a heatsink on the x-fi chip) and it seems to work fine *knock on wood*

if you don't have any problems and your X-Fi works and your machine works and....you have no problems...

then you have no problems and you shouldn't worry too much about the ones that are having problems (as they don't affect you at all since you are not having problems and if you were, you'd darn well know it by...all of the problems you were having!)

;)

kam33mitch

You mean it'll list a whole bunch of multimedia devices during startup? I had that, it didn't say unknown device, it said multimedia controller (many many times). I didn't realize it was supposed to do that. When it booted into windows my resolution was 800x600 and the vid card wasnt being detected. I figured this was not right, so i took it back. Since then I've learned it's possible to just install the drivers anyway, reboot, and everything should work.

Is that how it's supposed to go with the firmware fix?

If you have been reading this thread from the beginning then you'd know about the sound issues that X-FI users have stated as "Crackling noise...." and others which i'm not aware of.

Angry,

Thanks for the Avator, HAHAHAH! OUT MY WAY....Beeeeeep Beeeeeeeeeep............

If you have been reading this thread from the beginning then you'd know about the sound issues that X-FI users have stated as "Crackling noise...." and others which i'm not aware of.

Angry,

Thanks for the Avator, HAHAHAH! OUT MY WAY....Beeeeeep Beeeeeeeeeep............

crackling noise? i used to have this x-fi in my shuttle and everytime i played Battlefield 2 there when the sound is loaded onto the card i would get crackling noise

but not with my new system though

one thing i know for sure is that the shuttle was way underpowered

maybe the crackling noise is a PSU issue?

kam33mitch

You mean it'll list a whole bunch of multimedia devices during startup? I had that, it didn't say unknown device, it said multimedia controller (many many times). I didn't realize it was supposed to do that. When it booted into windows my resolution was 800x600 and the vid card wasnt being detected. I figured this was not right, so i took it back. Since then I've learned it's possible to just install the drivers anyway, reboot, and everything should work.

Is that how it's supposed to go with the firmware fix?

I can't say 100% because I was not starting from scratch when I switched cards but I was getting a lot more than just unknown multimedia device when the older card would boot. If the PC boots to windows you should be able to install the card and get everything going without a hitch. What kept happening to me was a BSOD saying your "BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant."

If you are not getting this at boot up I would keep going with your install. For a while I was able to mess with the ESCD settings and could get the PC to boot every other time but when I went to two 6800s even that would not work anymore - BSOD EVERY time.