I just bought a UT NF4-DF Expert, should I give it back?

Ah, I see. How many Watts should a good PSU have on 12V? I will look at the spec yesterday, but I have bought it 1 month ago and it was quite expensive, almost 100$ (but in Europe of course)...

Jerry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there again

Today I started and assembled my main computer. I used only motherboard, radeon X1600Pro gfx card and tried 1 DIMM of Corsair VS512, PQI 256Mb and some other RAM. None if which is low latency. But I think I should come to BIOS anyway...

Well, I don't come to BIOS :-( The diagnostic led goes from 4 lights to 3 lights and then to 2 lights and then stops, nothing on screen. Tried clearing CMOS no help... When I remove RAM I hear 3 beeps and stay at 3 lights. So I guess 2 lights mean that the GFX card is not working or???

Any help would be very appreciated. I did connect 24 pin to 24 pin, 8 poin power to 8 pin and 12V pin to the slot that is above PCI-e 16x...

Can my board be defective or is there something else?

Jerry

Try reseating or moving gfx card. If card has PW conn. make sure is plugged in. If no joy try another gfx card. The memory you bought is good memory but doesn't OC to well, about 200-225mhz is about it.

The expert requires a lot of tweaking to get tccd chips to OC at their max, and i mean a lot of time. In retrospect an Ultra-d is a plug and play ordeal, where as i had to spend a week with the ram to get it at 295htt, where it does 315 with an ultra-d in about 4 hours of tweaking.

If you are in the neighborhood for a new psu stick with OCZ, they work very well and have by far the best warranty.

clear the CMOS, then load optimized defaults if you can get her to boot. also, switching a single stick of ram only into different slots may get the boot.

i suspect your PS is not up to snuff, the Expert/Venus boards are VERY tempermental reagarding PS's.

the memory you got is just fine, the OCZ stuffs will play well on your board, once you get the power issues straightened out.

baldy

Well, I don't have yet the OCZ... It is on the way in the post, I still have the VS512 Corsair ...

I am crazy :-( It didn't boot because I connected the CD ROM without power in it :-(((

Anyway, now it boots and I set memory immediately to 2T. The board did however shut down for no apparent reason immediately after I switched on the power. Could this be PSU?

My PSU has 2 +12V lines says on it. First one has 15A, second one 16A. I would say that has to be enough.

Which FAN connector apart from the CPU fan has the ability to be conntrolled RPM? Is it number 2?

Also the temperature guardian in windows is a little wierd. I can not be running 28 celsius for 3000+ CPU?

I have to be mad. I didn't want to reinstall my Via A8V Deluxe system and I upgraded my system. Call me mad, I was very unstable at first, but I removed the VIA drivers and installed the NForce ones and so far seems OK...

That's for now. I will OC when I get the OCZ ram... Did you mean OCZ would only OC to 225 Mhz? That can not be true if I use higher latency it should go to 260. At least I read it on this forum.

Yours

Jerry

Jerry

also i tyink there was some serious misunderstnding,.....u do not need a corssfire mobo to run 2 cards....

only if u want crossfire....

u can still mix 2 cards for 4 monitors etc..totally diff thing..thats why the ultra d has 2 PCI 16 lanes and no SLI SUPPORT

also enabling the SLI JUMPERS wont hurt u ....16x bandwith is a joke,...newest cards dont even touch 8x...

i POSted because earlier someone stated that u needed a corssfire mobo + cards to run 2 cards... He was most likely confuesed between CROSSFIRE and just running 2 diff cards

I heard some info about some OEM(s) reworking ATI drivers so the cards do crossfire in non ATI chipset motherboards. Just a rumor, dont know what OEM either but it seems possible. The ATI chip motherboards use the same basic PCIe connections as the NF motherboards. If true, you pop two ATI cards in, load the drivers and you're doing crossfire - probably faster that an ATI chip MB in the crossfire mode.

Weel, when I boot from shut down my computer turns on for 3 sec and then stops. I have to power off by button on the PSU and then it works. I read here is a thread of 19 pages. Seems I am also affected :-(((