Good Heatsink/fan?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want the best possible air heatsink look at a thermalright http://www.thermalright.com/

Any of the top thermalright heatsinks will perform the same or better than your entry level water cooling kits. If you are going to watercool, I will say DO NOT by any type of kit or modular unit. They are generally crap and you can buy a much better pump, radiator, water blocks, and tubing individually for not much more or the same price.

Was looking at the XP-120, but what fan do you recommend putting on it? and how does the fan attach to it?

and it says LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D First PCI-e slot blocked by Heatpiples

i thought the 1st slot was the faster one, and 2nd one wasnt as fast...so will it be ok to move the vid card to the 2nd pci-e slot?

And my vid card is pretty big too

Was looking at the XP-120, but what fan do you recommend putting on it? and how does the fan attach to it?

i thought the 1st slot was the faster one, and 2nd one wasnt as fast...so will it be ok to move the vid card to the 2nd pci-e slot?

Just get the xp-90 and a good 90mm fan.

Had just changed Core voltage to 1.325 and it is still at 215 fsb, and 2.37 ghz and 2-3-2-5 timings

case is now 24c and cpu is 36c at idle PWMGT 40c. putting it at 100% now

(side is off with rotating deskfan blowing on it, as well as big fan circulating the air around room)

At Full load:

case:31c

CPU: 37c

PWMGT: 40c

With my old Thermaltake 680watt purepower PSU, the PWMGT would go up to like 48-50c under full load. So i'm glad my OCZ 600watt doesnt fluxuate like that

With these temps, what fan do u recommend and do u recommend just putting a dab of AS5 on die (think thats what its called) and then put heatsink on....and do the big ones just clip on or do u have to do more stuff to put it on?

Here, check this out, I used step #7 for my bare naked Opty and temps under load @ 1.68/46-48 C. :D

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

I've been told that the XP90 doesn't outperform the stock OPTERON HSF by much at all. So if you go thermalright, at least get the XP120. Though the Big Typhoon seems a bit more popular.

Another option: replace the fan on the Opteron heatsink. Get an adapter that lets you put a 120mm on it. After that, I expect it would perform about as good as the other top of the line HSFs.

Have you used the bigwater SE kit? I'm not sure how you could consider a 9c drop in temps over the already good opteron HSF as crap. Had I spent 200-300 on a multi-pump, multi-radiator water system, do you think I woulda hit 2.8? :)

There's no doubt the DD kit cools better than the BW SE, but I'm not sure what I woulda gained out of the extra cost.

The XP-120 blocks PCI-e x4 slot. Both PCI-e x16 slots are still usable. I had a XP-120 with a 84CFM fan on my San Diego clocked at 2.88GHz with 1.58V and it would load at 46-48*C. With the BT and the stock fan it loads at 43-46*C. I did notice that with the XP-120 I got lower temps. for the chipset and PWIMC (as much as 8*C). A stronger fan on the BT solved this, but for some reason CPU temps. remained the same.

I've been told that the XP90 doesn't outperform the stock OPTERON HSF by much at all. So if you go thermalright, at least get the XP120. Though the Big Typhoon seems a bit more popular.

Another option: replace the fan on the Opteron heatsink. Get an adapter that lets you put a 120mm on it. After that, I expect it would perform about as good as the other top of the line HSFs.

Have you used the bigwater SE kit? I'm not sure how you could consider a 9c drop in temps over the already good opteron HSF as crap. Had I spent 200-300 on a multi-pump, multi-radiator water system, do you think I woulda hit 2.8? :)

There's no doubt the DD kit cools better than the BW SE, but I'm not sure what I woulda gained out of the extra cost.

Sorry but the big water still sucks.

Danger den BIX: $50

Danger den TDX: $50

Danger den CSP MAG 12v pump: $50

1/2" ID tubing and fittings: $20

So for $170 you have an awesome system that will outperform any thermaltake or other kit garabge. For $15 more you can get a dual 120mm black ice xtreme radiator and drop temps 10 degrees more if you have the space to mount it.

How much does the big water cost again?

Edit: looked up the price.. $125... the pump on it is utter crap and fails for a lot of people, if it does stay working you will have to deal with the poor flow. The waterblock is a joke. The tubing is very narrow and flow limiting. The radiator is OK, but a 1st generation black ice pro would be better. So for $50 more you can get a real water cooling system.

Sorry but the big water still sucks.

So for $170 you have an awesome system that will outperform any thermaltake or other kit garabge. For $15 more you can get a dual 120mm black ice xtreme radiator and drop temps 10 degrees more of you have the space to mount it.

How much does he big water cost again?

A blanket statement that all kits suck. Kits you've never used. Interesting.

A blanket statement that all kits suck. Kits you've never used. Interesting.

see my edit.

Why would anyone buy a kit? If you are planning on water cooling you should be prepared to do some research on it in the first place, in which case you would understand the components required.

Swiftech and alphacool "kits" are a little different than what i'm referring to. For their kits they just sell their mid-high end parts together in configurations. On the other hand thermaltake doesn't have anything good to group together.