Good Heatsink/fan?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sir jman do you have anypictures of you w/c setup? i'd really like to see it in that case.

I have a picture of a similar setup in my PC-75 with polarflo blocks.

I built the system in my sig over the weekend and I am waiting until I transfer all of my movies and files off of my other PC so I can take the pump and radiator from it, and instal the water cooling on the PC-7. I have cut out the top of the new case do accomidate tehe radiator so it should be an easy instal.

I will admit, I'm new to these forums. I didn't ask around much before buying the TT BigWater SE kit. Today I was listening to your criticism and feeling a little down for having purchased the system. Even to the point where I considered taking my system apart and returning it.

But then I started thinking about it a bit more - and doing more testing. I'll admit, people don't like criticism, I certainly don't. That may be both yours and my problem here (and why we'll never come to an agreement). If my kit works well, you'll assume criticsm for your system because it costs more than mine. There's no doubt from your wording that you're directly criticising me for making (paraphrased) "the stupid istake of purchasing TT water".

I will say, I'm amazed by the blanket criticism and statement of "facts" I get over it from people who've never even tried the system. My original point was that the system works well for me - I never said it was as good at cooling as DD kit and I still do not contend so. But I will respond when you tell me the system is garbage, because I think that comment is completely without merit.

We are all about benchmarks statisctis and end results in this forum right? Isn't that why we use benchmarks to judge our overclock results? Here are my results with this system:

I've recently returned to running [email protected]. After 45 minutes of dual prime95, my temp is 36c. (down from 1.55v/40c) They climbed a bit in the first 2-3 minutes and flattened out at 36c for the remaining 40+ minutes. You say if I went to a DD kit, I'd take off another 10c, that's 26c at full load. Is that even close to realistic with the simple system you've quoted me here for about $170.00?

Based on my results, I'm not buying the comment that the size of the tubing and the pump flow of the TT Big Water SE are in any way limiting end results of this particular setup. From my experience and testing, when I turn down the fan speed it takes 2-3 minutes for the temperatures to climb up even a single degree. Water flow is certainly fast enough that I'm not getting rapid temp fluxuation at the CPU, all water in my system must increase in temp before my CPU temp increases. If there were a water flow restriction problem, hot water would stay on the water block and the CPU would experience similar temp fluxuation rates that you see with air cooling.

Once you have enough flow to pull the heat away and avoid hot spots, What you gain by increasing tube width is that your overall system now holds more water and increases the time it takes for all the water in the system to climb/fall in temperatures. Increased tubing width REQUIRES increased pump water flow to maintain the same water velocity through the system.

Once you get to the point where all water in the system must go up in temp before your CPU temp rises, you are only going to help keep temps down by adding more (or larger) radiators. At this point it's convenience - if I added more (or larger) radiators, I'd need them to be external to my case.

EDIT** The other factor that has a huge impact on cooling is ambient air in the room. It's amazing how quickly temperatures in my room climb with this opteron 165 when I leave the door closed.

for all the thermalright and zalman fanboys

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92691

Tuniq Tower & TT BT is the best air cooling solutions on the market now for real O/Cing

Zalman 9500 is nice for lanparty boys who need a nice cooling and still be able to move their cases A LOT

thermalright XP- solutions are some how old now for dual core from intel & amd

for all the thermalright and zalman fanboys

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92691

Tuniq Tower & TT BT is the best air cooling solutions on the market now for real O/Cing

Zalman 9500 is nice for lanparty boys who need a nice cooling and still be able to move their cases A LOT

thermalright XP- solutions are some how old now for dual core from intel & amd

Real OC'ing, could you please enlighten me what is the definition of "real OC'ing"? There are so many excellent HS out there that can do the job. Granted, I have not had any experiences with any Tuniq Tower & TT BT, but I tell you what, I have an XP120 and a couple of Zalman HS including the 9500. I have found in my own rigs that I built, that the most important factor is the surface contact between the IHS/HS, how it is mounted and the exterior air that acutally cools the mounted HS over the cpu, and the thermal compound. As far as OC'ing, even if you got the best cooling over the cpu and its a dud, well, you are limited by the cpu's limit. Point is, your OC does not rely only on the HS or waterblock.

i meant by real O/Cing is like vcore more than 1.5 on a dual core A64 or more than 1.6 on a single core A64

@ those settings a lot of the h/s fal down like zalman 9500 and XP120 as shown in the review i posted above where the user tested all fo them @ the same conditions

u can see how the zalman and the thermalright cooler is not as good as the rest @ a prescot running @ 1.5v which produce a great amount of watt

and for me i found that my O/C DOES rely on which h/s i use cause both of my old 3200+ venice and my current 165 opty won't be stable @ very high fsb unless they are well cooled which the zalman 9500 wasn't able to handle and the TT BT do

my venice was able to do 2.7GHz @ only 1.4Vcore when using TT BT or Tower112 with 2 fans where the load temp won't exceed 42C while using teh zlaman it reached 47C and the system wasn't able to stable like when using BT or Tower112

my current opty doesn't like volt more than 1.4, only with the BT it will reach 2.8GHz but with the Zalman it will only do 2.6GHz cause of the diff in load temp