Good Heatsink/fan?

What are some of the best, but easy to put on heatsinks/fans, and is watercooling that hard to do? I'd like to learn about that..or is this the wrong place to ask?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some nice heatsink/fans out there - personally I would get the thermaltake big typhoon if you're going to stick with air cooling.

There are more steps to doing water cooling than replacing your fan, but it was fun for me. If you get an all-in-one kit, they usually come with decent instructions. People are a big fan of Danger Den stuff around here, they have a maize kit that may be a good getting started kit.

I'm happy with my thermaltake big water se as well, but it doesn't cool as well as a $200-$300 kit.

i was actually looking at reviews of the Big water kit yesterday and the temps look almost the same as the big typhoon. what are your load temps? mine are about 42C with the TTBT

It took at least 9c off of my temperatures over the stock opteron 165 HSF (which is nearly as good as some of the upgraded coolers, such as the xp90). I'm 40c under load (dual core, 2xPrime95 running). I have a friend who's overclocked his opteron to the same speed as mine and he's doing over 50.

Again, it's not as good as a custom $200+ kit, but I'm not sure I'd be able to overclock one bit better if I reduced my temps more. I never go over 50c even when I try to get to 2.8 and push over 1.65v through the CPU.

EDIT: And I agree, don't get the Big Water kit, If you do go TT water, get Big Water SE. It has a separate reservior, holds more liquid, is easier to fill and cools better.

Had just changed Core voltage to 1.325 and it is still at 215 fsb, and 2.37 ghz and 2-3-2-5 timings

case is now 24c and cpu is 36c at idle PWMGT 40c. putting it at 100% now

(side is off with rotating deskfan blowing on it, as well as big fan circulating the air around room)

At Full load:

case:31c

CPU: 37c

PWMGT: 40c

With my old Thermaltake 680watt purepower PSU, the PWMGT would go up to like 48-50c under full load. So i'm glad my OCZ 600watt doesnt fluxuate like that

With these temps, what fan do u recommend and do u recommend just putting a dab of AS5 on die (think thats what its called) and then put heatsink on....and do the big ones just clip on or do u have to do more stuff to put it on?