Processors have a slow death?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am currently have this set up.. can't remember the names will just give the equation 1.475 vcore x 110% = Comes out at 1.622 but Speedfan only reports 1.57 and the Mobo Settings only show 1.6. Also I can't get it to run stable with anything less that those settings. Also it use to be 1.425 x 1.13, but I upped it .01 volts and sadly enough I haven't crashed yet on Primes. Also, Yeah I have been OCing, but, honestly, how can they tell? And if they can, how often do they do that?

Well damn... I wish I read up on Aspires and DFI boards before I bought the PSU... Works great though.. Haven't had any problems until now.. Suppose I may need to get a new PSU to be on the safe side.

Also, i would hope I could keep my AMD 4000+ at 2.8ghz longer than just a few months... jeez, that would kinda suck...

Hmm Maybe I need to go ahead and get a new power supply... Wish I knew alittle more about em before i bought this one.. heck.. I just got the thing and figured.. what the hey.. I see a +12v1@20a and a +12v2@18a.... Is this good? What does that mean? help?

Just to relay my experance with slow decay of an over clock. Have a barton, first it worked fine at 2.1ghz overclock. then slowly over time the temp starts to get higher and i get crashes, Lower clock to 2ghz, stable yet again, more time goes by 6-8mo, it becomes more problematic. lower it to 1.9ghz now its stable again but my core temps are slowly rising yet again. overing around 55c under full load.

I have reseated the proc and heatsink several time to make sure it wasn't comming loose after the temps starting spiking. so i must agree that some cpus slowly decay over time espically when overclocked. but normally they outlive there lifespan anyway (i will upgrade before it decays too far).

my 2cents.

War

PS if you overclocked then you voided your warrently thus can't call amd for replacement.

my bartons been oced to 2.2ghz (2500, standard 1.833) since summer '04 and its never degraded nor has it had hi temps.. strange.. lol and this is on stock voltage and everything

I also started out buying the cheaper PSU that looked good, but there is Huge differences in PSU manufacturers. I was having all sorts of stability issues including losing my clocks gradually, Then I bought a Powerstream 520W and all my Problems were solved, there is a difference in QUALITY.

Whew... I guess I need to go Powerstream.. I had horrible issues with OC... I just didn't like have to give my AMD 1.622 voltage when everyone else was around 1.55 or so. Now I upped it another .01 and I am running primes95 with no crashes yet.. going on 5 hrs.. when last time I crashed only after 2... so it probably is the PSU.. What I get for not reading up. I will sell mine and go for Powerstream =). thanks for all your help guys!

im currently running an aspire psu and i've had no problems. i ran it with my barton 3200+ at 2.4ghz as well. i'm starting to get a similar problem as you though. it seems to my that my memory might be degrading. have you checked your memory? my system used to be stable with my memory at 2.7v. then between 2.7 and 2.8. now 2.8. i've had this system running for about two months at 2.5GHz and it's been pretty stable. i don't care about my memory though, as i will just get 2gb of pc4000 memory. try messing with your memory timings and latencies. it might not necessarily be the psu. i wasn't aware that aspire was so bad though. i got this psu for free though and i haven't really had any problems. the power goes out in my building a lot and i just use a basic surge protector. psu seems okay. but good luck. i have two components that dfi mobos seem to hate, my memory and psu, yet everything seems to be running slick for now. we'll see how long it will last though. i also use stock cooling for all my components. my temps are normal though.

Hmmm now that I think of it, I did turn the add .3v options on for my memory making. I had it set for 2.8 before I turned it on. So perhaps my memory may be going.. I changed two things when I went into bios, added the .01 and the memory. damnit.. lol now i have to do primes again to single out which one caused the problem! thanks for the info. One last thing, I read somewhere that on 90nm 6.5v was the deadline on them, that I shouldn't go past correct? Just want to make sure it isn't lower.

Your running a good bit of voltage through that processor, if u intended to keep it for a while u might want to back off.

The dfi ultra d overvoltaes about 0.04v under load. Not sure about the expert.

So when i read the voltages with a digital multimeter theyre 1.5 like what i set in the bios, but under load it hits 1.54v. All of my windows based programs read 1.475 while its actually at 1.5.

So if the experts overvolts your looking at close to 1.7v.