Non-sli Multi Gpu Help!!!

I dont think you can run two different cards in SLI eithier, let alone an ATI and nVidia. I believe the manual says that the cards must be the exact model. Just send back x300.

also add some detail to your sig

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, but I am not sure because I have never done it, trying to run an nVidia card and an ATI card in one motherboard at the same time is not going to work and may corrupt your OS to boot. Running SLI mode has nothing to do with it.

You will have to move the jumpers between the two X16 PCIe slots to enable the second graphics card ... to convert from one X16 PCIe slot to two X8 PCIe slots.

Look at the motherboard layout diagram in the user guide. You should see a "black clump" between the two X16 slots. Those are the jumpers you have to move.

Copy your OS to a logical drive in an extended partition and hide it (Windows does not like finding two OS partitions when it's not configured as a dual-boot system) before you move the jumpers. This should save your backside when what you're trying to do fails.

Hope this helps ... :)

Two video cards togethor works fine regardless ATI, Nvidia whatever, the solution to his problem has been posted by Oceanborn.

Heck you can even use 2 different cards in SLi nowadays with current drivers. (Obviously they both have to be NVIDIA cards to be in SLi though)

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189501

Two of those posters have different brand video cards in the same motherboard. No way I would swap to 8x and 8x to run a wonky ATI 300 video card against my 7800GT card. 7800GT card should power two monitors in Nvidia and WinXP dual view mode anyway without another video card. But if you do a few searches you will find that ATI and Nvidia can run on same board if done right.

RGone...

Thanks for clearing that up RGone, and thanks for bringing a definitive answer to the mis-information I provided.

However, my mistake aside, I still think it's wonky to try and run two different brand video cards in the same machine. Heck, sometimes driver packs for a single video card can be hell to figure out why a game or some other application isn't running right. IMHO - using an ATI and a Nvidia gpu equals same potential problems X 2