Power supply...

Sorry to ask what has been asked a thousand times before, but I'm going to buy a second 7800GT, and I want to know if my current power supply will be ok.

I've read through the power supply guide, which is why I got the one I have now. It's the same as the 500W Fortron BlueStorm in there. I did a search for my question (bottom of explaination) and nothing came up which applied to me.

It is equivalent to this one:

I know it's not SLI ready, but it has 32A on the 12v rail, which is half way between DFI and Nvidia recommendations, so I am happy to use that on it. (Tell me I shouldn't be if you wish...). It also has the 24 pin native etc, so is fine in every other aspect.

However, it is not Nvidia SLI certified, as it has only one PCI-e plug, although it came with an adapter which runs off two four pin plugs, so it seems that Fortron did intend it to be used for SLI.

So what I'm wondering is whether or not it is critical that I have two native PCI-e plugs on the PSU, and whether or not the actual power I have will be enough for the system itself.

In the guide, the least powerful recommended SLI PSU has 520W (OCZ) and 535W (Enermax), so this makes me wonder if I have enough power or not, as 20W more isn't a lot.

The OCZ costs about $50 more than my PSU here, and when I sell this I'll hardly fetch anything for it, so I'm not that keen on switching unless I really have to.

I'm looking some up on ebay right now anyway (as power supplies are a scam in France), so I'll be ready if I do have to.

[EDIT] I've looked around a little, and if I had to change I'd go for the Enermax 535W or the Antec Truepower 2 550W. The increase in power still seems fairly insignificant though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a lot of reading I just got myself an FSP Epsilon 700W

says it has 4x12 rails at 15A each but I contacted FSP and they told me it has been reclassified as having 4x12V rails at 18A each.

Supports ATI Crossfire & nVidia SLI VGA Card Double +12V Design

20+4Pin Connector

4+4Pin Connector EPS system

2 Channel PCI-E Connector with ATI & nVIDIA dual graphic card support

And to my knowledge "dont quote me on this" no one has reported a cold boot problem with this PSU and DFI boards, ("do your own research on this")

You should be fine with the FSP Epsilon 700W. I considered it when recently upgrading my PSU. 12v4 is exclusively used by PCI-E 1 with 12v2 being used either by a 2nd cpu(for dual CPU mobos) or PCI-E 2. 12V1 is used for CPU, with 12V3 being used by the Mobo (24pin connection), molex etc.

It's one of the few PSU's that can handle crossfired ATI Radeon X1900 XTX

Which need a small power station :D see The Grand Clash for Watts: Power Consumption of Modern Graphics Cards (page 4)

luck ;)

Sorry Burky, must admit was watching Barcelona v Chelsea & thought mrtell was a 2nd post from u. :eek2:

I think in all honesty you may struggle with your current 1. But I think i'd be inclined 2 try it & see i mut admit. (1st link don't work)

@mrtell

Is the knife if we dissagree with you....lol
-Hehe :sweat::D

I'm not sure AG gave me it - He reckons the Avatars reflect the personality of the member. My previous 1 had a machine gun - so I guess i'm mellowing :D

Chelski are out the cup oH dear :sad: :D

@mrtell

-Hehe :sweat::D

I'm not sure AG gave me it - He reckons the Avatars reflect the personality of the member. My previous 1 had a machine gun - so I guess i'm mellowing :D

Chelski are out the cup oH dear :sad: :D

lol.....funny for a mancunian.

Only thing is right now, my volts seem unstable:

volts5jc.th.jpg

Here is a chart of my volts from when I was playing CSS for 55 minutes.

Is it damaging to my cpu if this happens?

If so maybe I ought to get a new PSU anyways.

Sorry Burky, can't see the graph line. But

Is it damaging to my cpu if this happens?
Not specifically it just means your more likely to have some instabilty. If the situation is worse Then biggest tell tale sign i think will be power loss when gaming - the pc just turning off.

If so maybe I ought to get a new PSU anyways.
Recommended! - NF4 Ultra/SLI Mobos:PowerSupplies is a good starting point

luck ;)