Power supply...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@mrtell

How or where do you get or retrieve the graphs?
Hehe :) :shake:

Their the prize u get for passing OCCT see earlier link.

@Hawk454

Your right about the multimeter. I just checked mine & all eails were stronger than the reading pivked up by MBM. Multimeter readings would help.

But for the purposes of this exercise athese b4 & after charts will still give a reasonable feel, the only changed parameter will be the addition of an additional 7800.

I read a really good post by another electronic technician about correcting the ripple or more importantly the slope of the ripple by placing a small capacitor at the 4 pin molex connector PSU side. A value of 100 uF is plenty sufficient to slow the drop rate. For those who I am confusing, capacitors have two functions. The first is to store a small amount of current at the voltage supplied to it that is capable of discharging at periods of a few milliseconds and less. This overall effect is to smooth a DC volt line by charging/discharging during hi/low periods. The second function is to filter any AC ripple that is still present on the voltage line. The filter effect allows for AC to travel straight to ground at the connector instead of through the devices.

The most obvious use of this band-aid would be at devices that have irregular on/off periods such as DVD/CD drives. These components have a high burst current needed to reach initial speeds. If high current fans or mod lights are used these can help these areas as well.

Motherboards have regulation present so I would not bother unless you feel the need to buffer everything.

I prefer speedfan, but I don't think it matters as they use the same sensors, and report the same. Use the one which has the best interface.

Keep in mind your watercooling watt consumption if you are running pumps/fans off of PSU as well. Add up your max wattage of all your devices and verify you are less than 85% load and you should be fine.

My watercooling is run off the mains, although it has a fan connected plugged in so that it starts when the computer is switched on.

I only have one 120mm fan, and I rarely use my dvd/cd drive at all, so I should be ok as far as power consumption goes.

I'm thinking about moving up to a SATA hdd soon as well. Partly because I only have 4 four-pin adapters, and two of them are needed for the second PCI plug, one for the motherboard, and one for the hard disk. ie, I will not be able to plug in a DVD drive till I get SATA so I can run the hdd off the SATA power supply too.

If you want the Antec TP-II 550W, buy.com has it for 89.99 (no tax unless u're in CA) and with free shipping. There's also a $10 rebate if you want to bother about it bringing it down to 79.99 which is the cheapest I've seen this awesome ps go for. There's also a 10% discount coupon if u're a "returning customer" (must be on the mailing list already) or if you have other stuff to buy there (order>150/200, u can get some $10/20 off coupons.

Thanks for the heads up Chrysler, but I'm over in Europe, so buy.com won't work for me.

I'll see how my PSU copes with the extra gpu, and if it handles it fine, then I'll grab one of those power splitters. Else I'll have to switch PSU.

Thanks a lot for that Supershanks, I didn't even think of that. Silly...