OCZ Platinum PC4800 RAM gets me bluescreens, but memtest = OK

i had big troubles with my PC (see my old thread), but i could narrow the problem down to my OCZ PC4800 RAM.

with both installed, no matter if in the orange or yellow slots, i keep getting bluescreens - sometimes even during the windows installation. the system is super-unstable and doesnt last longer than 2minutes without a bluescreen.

after all the bluescreens i put in the rigs from my old system (2x 512MB OCZ PC3200 Performance Series 2-3-3-6), et voilà, everything was running fine and stable! so after 1 day of enjoying a finally stable system, i wanted to find out what was wrong with my other OCZ DDR600 RAMs, so here is what i did:

- memtest during 5hours: NO errors!!

- BIOS setup: optimized defaults / alil bit of oc'ing, playing around with timings etc - but always the same errors as described below

- 2x rigs in orange slots: bluescreen b4 the winlogon

- 2x rigs in yellow slots: b4 the winlogon screen is supposed to show up, the screen just stays black

- 1x rig in orange slot: the system automaticly reboots b4 the winlogon screen

- 1x rig in orange slot (the other1): system runs fine - lol? well at least it seems so. i'm using this config as i'm typing now, but i didnt try any benchmarking yet - any suggestions here? =)

well it all seems like 1 rig is screwed, but why the hell is memtest running fine then? i dont believe that because those RAM were running fine in my "old" PC just 1 week ago (see 2nd system in my sig)!

my last option would be to send them back, what would be pretty annoying as i bought them abroad - any suggestions ?

""- 1x rig in orange slot: the system automaticly reboots b4 the winlogon screen""

RGone...

i had big troubles with my PC (see my old thread), but i could narrow the problem down to my OCZ PC4800 RAM.

with both installed, no matter if in the orange or yellow slots, i keep getting bluescreens - sometimes even during the windows installation. the system is super-unstable and doesnt last longer than 2minutes without a bluescreen.

after all the bluescreens i put in the rigs from my old system (2x 512MB OCZ PC3200 Performance Series 2-3-3-6), et voilà, everything was running fine and stable! so after 1 day of enjoying a finally stable system, i wanted to find out what was wrong with my other OCZ DDR600 RAMs, so here is what i did:

- memtest during 5hours: NO errors!!

- BIOS setup: optimized defaults / alil bit of oc'ing, playing around with timings etc - but always the same errors as described below

- 2x rigs in orange slots: bluescreen b4 the winlogon

- 2x rigs in yellow slots: b4 the winlogon screen is supposed to show up, the screen just stays black

- 1x rig in orange slot: the system automaticly reboots b4 the winlogon screen

- 1x rig in orange slot (the other1): system runs fine - lol? well at least it seems so. i'm have have this config as i'm typing now, but i didnt try any benchmarking yet - any suggestions here? =)

well it all seems like 1 rig is screwed, but why the hell is memtest running fine then? i dont believe that because those RAM were running fine in my "old" PC just 1 week ago (see 2nd system in my sig)!

my last option would be to send them back, what would be pretty annoying as i bought the abroad - any suggestions ?

even though memtest passes 5 hours you may require some tweaking above and beyond 'optimized defaults' to become stable in a windows environment.

well i think its not about tweaking when my system reboots before i even get to the winxp loading screen...

its just strange that those modules were both running fine for 10months in my 2nd system - and now this. i really wonder what is wrong with those RAM's

""- 1x rig in orange slot: the system automaticly reboots b4 the winlogon screen""

ye i sent an email to OCZ support...

is ur power supply going all hay wire on u?...mine would reboot all the time cause of the psu...check the railing....

going all hay wire on me? sorry but i dont understand what u mean =)

ok sorry i need to sorta out a sig of my system but im using a ultra-d motherboard and venice 3200+, i've had serious trouble finding the correct timming to run the memory at and after 6 hours of memory test i was happy untill i got into windows. i tryed changing the vitual memory size and disabling DEP, but still blue screen. it's weird cos i can play counter strike hours on end without any problems but when it comes to a simple activity like searching the web ill get ramdom blue screens and restarts. i thought the problem might be sound related as i get a stutter at windows log on so i switched from onboard sound to my old sound blaster live but that didnt help... i guess it might be somthing to do with my timmings or possibly the ram drive strength. ive seen page memory errors and nrql or somthing errors apon blue screen reboots, again sorry for not having a sig i was a little rushed. i also had to install windows with one stick and with a high voltage or around 3V

ok sorry i need to sorta out a sig of my system but im using a ultra-d motherboard and venice 3200+, i've had serious trouble finding the correct timming to run the memory at and after 6 hours of memory test i was happy untill i got into windows. i tryed changing the vitual memory size and disabling DEP, but still blue screen. it's weird cos i can play counter strike hours on end without any problems but when it comes to a simple activity like searching the web ill get ramdom blue screens and restarts. i thought the problem might be sound related as i get a stutter at windows log on so i switched from onboard sound to my old sound blaster live but that didnt help... i guess it might be somthing to do with my timmings or possibly the ram drive strength. ive seen page memory errors and nrql or somthing errors apon blue screen reboots, again sorry for not having a sig i was a little rushed. i also had to install windows with one stick and with a high voltage or around 3V

well it cant have anything to do with my timings or other mem settings, as i have a perfectly stable system with 1 module, while the other1 is constantly giving me bluescreens...

anyway keep us up to date with ur problem please =)

Get your sig togeher and we can help. We can't give you advice with know what ya got.

HI,

To start I will say that I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to overclocking. With that said, you can understand my frustration. I bought some OCZ 600 mhz memory thinking I could finally push the edge of water cooling. I have had nothing but problems with this memory/board combo. Both the board and memory are new to me ( Christmas presents). Lets get down to it. I can clock my CPU to 2.4 and stable but when I try to do this with my memory @ 1:1 crashes ensue. I have tried dropping my multiplier, loosening the timings and every other tweak I could think of. I even sent my origional set of memory back to OCZ for a new pair. There is no way to get this board to hit 300mhz FSB with OCZ pc4800 plat, at least that I know of. That is why I am posting here though. I want to see if there is another brain out there that has come up with a solution. Even at 300fsb x 6 = 1800 with timings @ 3 5 5 10 ( rated @ 2.5 4 4 10 ) it will not run stable. After readin many posts the only thing I could of would be the PSU but it has worked on a few rigs for me before. Please help me out. this is frustrating!!

Jim

well it cant have anything to do with my timings or other mem settings, as i have a perfectly stable system with 1 module, while the other1 is constantly giving me bluescreens...

anyway keep us up to date with ur problem please =)

Hello, without proper settings, you may very well be having reboots. BIOS defaults are not useful on the DFI at all. Being able to run one stick alone just tells you that you have a lighter load on your memory controller, which you do with one stick.

To get 300mhz on these boards requires 2t with many CPU's and that you play with timings. Understand that you are puching the edge and not just installing PC3200 at default speeds.

See the timings here in post 9, 10 and 11. These will get you started and you will need to tweak and push the board and your CPU for 300mhz:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9833

You may also need the 704-BTA BIOS for the non Expert boards and the yellow memory slots (not all boards work best with yellow) to get the most out of your memory.

Thanks

thanks for your help andy - but i think there is a little misunderstanding: i mean that 1 of the two modules runs perfectly stable (at stock settings that is), while the 2nd one makes my system reboot before even getting into windows. therefore i conclude that 1 of those sticks is broken... ;)

anyway i will try a little bit of tweaking before i finally RMA them - i made a word-document with some info i gathered from this and the bleedingedge forum for every1 who needs help oc'ing OCZ PC4800 sticks with an SLI-DR (Expert) board (see attachement)

/edit: is there no other way to reset the bios than setting the cmos-jumper? because with most non-working settings i cant even get to the bios - i only get a black screen. it is terribly annoying and most of all, very time-consuming =p

16 hours memory test and still blue screens. could it be my cpu controller? i mean memory test is less stressful on the cpu?

i also need help finding the 704-BTA BIOS i mean i cant make sense of it on the dfi site even when looking at the bios file names and exe's :confused: