PWM IC heatsinks etc

renolle

Question 1

I noticed that the tempdiode for measuring pwm is close to the R60 marked black box(whatever that is). My PWMIC temps are in the high 60s when running full and I wonder what kind of mod I can do to help these temps. Since I have a P180 I cant/wont put a fan in the 5.25" area.

However, I have some left over zalman heatsinks from my graphics card. Can I put those on the R60 boxes, or doesnt those get warm/unnessesary?

Question 2

One ram heatsink on my graphics card has fallen off and I wonder if thats anything to worry about. Theres not alot of air blowing on it as you can see here

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/1387/case2hi.jpg

I would like to OC the gc, but I dont know if I can damage the rams if heatsinks are missing.

/Olle

NEVER underestimate heat! Especially when you're watercooled. You HAVE to get a 120mm fan blowing directly at the PWMIC and ram modules! The same goes for the video card ram chips. Why wouldn't you put the sink back? DON'T play with water if you don't have enough air moving inside the case! The PWMIC is right there with the R60's.

im trying to figure this out too, i have a p180 and my pwmic area is getting pretty hot, but i'm air cooled. there is just nowhere to mount a fan. they only thing i could think of would be to cut a hole right above that area and put a fan there, but i dont have any of the tools to do that.

why not retro fit a hi cfm 120mm fan on the inside of your case side panel. use 4 erasers, some good multi purpose glue and some double sided velcro strip. you can get that from most clothing or dress repair stores. just stick the erasers at the points where the corners of the fan go and attach the velcro ... well you get the idea... that should give adequate cooling and the velcro provides good vibration dampening. you could even put two in above each other to accomodate your gfx card

Well, first of all I have the 2 tri cool fans at the top and back which cools the ram modules good enough, they are never over 30-35C (if I trust my hands anyway).

Should I move a tri cool fan from the top and put it in the inlet on medium, and move the Adda 16dB to the top?

That would probably be good enough for the GC colling, or? The ambient temp on the GC is idle 29, load 35 right now.

As for the R60 boxes I didnt quite get what Mord said. I though the PWMICs are the small chips under the hetsinks, or aim I wrong?

Overall the temp inside the case is very good, except for the PWMIC temp, however it doesnt feel warm inside the case even under full load.

I put on some old ram heatsinks on the R60 boxes and tied a 60mm fan from an old socket A cpu block between the atx power cord and the mountings for the cpu block. Im running it at 50% which makes it practically noiseless. Ive been running prime95 for about 10 minutes and the temp hasnt been above 35C! Pretty good with a 50% drop in temps with some old parts laying around :)

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10005014vf.jpg

I stuck a copper heatsinksink on the previously mentioned PWMIC chip and lots a few degrees at full load.

I also have a 92mm fan cooling the area

at full load with the voltages in my sig im still in the low 50s, whick is ok but I'd love it to be lower